Is the More Operator Correct for \langle x'|\hat{p} \hat{x} | x \rangle?

• Thread starter BeauGeste
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary, the question is whether the steps in considering \langle x'|\hat{p} \hat{x} | x \rangle are correct, and the answer is that both routes presented are correct. It is not a problem to pull out x because the \hat{p} operator is acting on states, not on c-numbers.
BeauGeste
Consider
[tex]\langle x'|\hat{p} \hat{x} | x \rangle[/tex].
Are these steps correct?
1. [tex]\hat{x}[/tex] operates on the x eigenstate to get
[tex]\langle x'|\hat{p} x | x \rangle[/tex].
2. x is a c-number so can be pulled out to get
[tex]x \langle x'|\hat{p} | x \rangle[/tex].
3. [tex]x \langle x'|\hat{p} | x \rangle = x \frac{\partial}{\partial x'}\delta (x'-x)[/tex]

The part I'm most wary on is 2 where I pulled x out. It seems like the p operator is acting on it so I shouln't be able to do that.

Alternatively, could I do the following:
1. have p operate on [tex]\hat{x}[/tex] first to get
[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x'}x' \delta (x'-x)[/tex]
2. Which becomes
[tex] \delta (x'-x) + x' \delta'(x'-x)[/tex]

Is one of these two routes incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
BeauGeste said:
2. x is a c-number so can be pulled out

Yes, you can do that. Operators do not act on c-numbers.

Eugene.

Both are correct (except you dropped a factor of -i*hbar in line 3, but you also dropped it in the 2nd part). You can check that your two final expressions are equal by integrating them against a test funtion of either x or x'.

Won't you get the same thing for
[tex]\langle x'|\hat{x} \hat{p} | x \rangle[/tex]
though? That would imply the two operators commute.

Last edited:
BeauGeste said:
The part I'm most wary on is 2 where I pulled x out. It seems like the p operator is acting on it so I shouln't be able to do that.
It's not a problem because [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] is not a differential operator: [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] is a linear operator acting on states. Because it's linear, it commutes with all complex numbers.

[itex]\hat{p}[/itex] only turns into a differential operator when everything's written out in the position representation -- in that case, you would have

[tex]
\langle x' | \hat{p} \hat{x} | x \rangle
=
\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \delta(x' - \xi) \left(-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial \xi} \right)
\xi \delta(x - \xi) \, d\xi[/tex]

and now it's differently obvious, since x clearly commutes with [itex]\partial / \partial \xi[/itex].

Last edited:

FAQ: Is the More Operator Correct for \langle x'|\hat{p} \hat{x} | x \rangle?

1. What is the "More" operator?

The "More" operator is a logical operator used in programming languages to compare two values. It returns true if the first value is greater than the second value, and false otherwise.

2. How is the "More" operator different from the "Greater than" operator?

The "More" operator and the "Greater than" operator are essentially the same and can be used interchangeably. However, the "More" operator is more commonly used in programming languages such as JavaScript and Python, while the "Greater than" operator is more commonly used in mathematical equations.

3. Can the "More" operator be used to compare strings?

No, the "More" operator is used to compare numerical values only. It cannot be used to compare strings.

4. What happens when the values being compared are not of the same data type?

If the values being compared are not of the same data type, the "More" operator will attempt to convert them to the same data type before making the comparison. For example, if one value is a number and the other is a string, the string will be converted to a number before the comparison is made.

5. What are some common mistakes when using the "More" operator?

One common mistake when using the "More" operator is forgetting to include the second value in the comparison. This can result in unexpected outcomes. Another mistake is using the "More" operator to compare strings instead of the "Greater than" operator. It is important to pay attention to the data types of the values being compared to avoid errors.