Finding the Deduction for Euler Number

• Thread starter live4physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Euler
In summary, the number e, also known as Euler's number, can be derived in various ways such as through the analysis of logarithmic and exponential functions, compounded interest, and infinite series. It is a fundamental mathematical constant and is often referred to as the "natural base" as it appears in many natural and physical phenomena. It is commonly used in calculations involving compound interest and is represented by the symbol "e".
live4physics
Hi,

Can anyone show me what´s the deduction for e Euler number ?

Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
live4physics said:
Hi,

Can anyone show me what´s the deduction for e Euler number ?

Thank you
What do you mean by "deduction"?

One way the number came about (I don't remember if it originates from this or not) was through analysis of the derivative of logarithmic/exponential functions. Evaluating the derivative of such functions involved taking the limit of an expression, which through analysis came out to be e (you could say it approaches an irrational number e).

There is a YouTube video about "e" from Khan Academy, dealing with derivative of the exponential function. It might be instructive for you.

This base of the natural logarithms can also be inductively developed through compounded interest, increasing the number of compoundings per year period, and then imagining or seeing where this goes as the number of compoundings per year becomes infinite. This I have seen developed in an old Intermediate Algebra book.

e is the number which satisfies this integral

[tex] \int^e_1 \frac {dx} x =1 [/tex]

In other words the area under the curve of 1/x from 1 to e equals 1.

Another way of phrasing it is that e is the number such that
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{e^x- 1}{x}= 1[/tex]

Once you find that e^x is its own deratative, you can get things from the Taylor series:

[tex] e^x =1+x+x^2/2! +x^3/3! +++=\sum_{i=0}^{i=\infty} \frac{x^i}{i!}[/tex]

Last edited:
Also,
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\left(1 + \frac{1}{x}\right)^x = e[/tex]

Bohrok said:
Also,

Using this expression, you an also obtain the infinite series from the expansion:

(1+1/n)^n = 1+n/n + (n)(n-1)/n^2 *2! +n(n-1)(n-2)/n^3(3!) +++

So that taking the limit term by term becomes 1+1/1! +1/2! + 1/3! ++++as n goes to infinity.

Last edited:
Bohrok said:
Also,

This equation without the limit is the equation for compound interest.

Say you found a bank that promised to double your money every year, compounding it daily. You start off by putting $1 in your account. After a year, you end up with pretty close to $2.71 = "e dollars".

Magically, e pops up everywhere in math. It's probably more prominent than pi.

Tac-Ticks: This equation without the limit is the equation for compound interest.

What he means is that the amount is compounded instantly, instead of every day or every month, etc.

For example if the nominal rate is 5%, then compounding instantly would give e^.05 =1.05127

Where as if it was compunded every day (1+.05/365)^365 = 1.05126, or only about a dollar difference on $100,000.

Bankers are often, or used to be, inclinded to use 360 days for the year. It makes the calculation easier--at least before computers.

Last edited:
robert Ihnot said:
What he means is that the amount is compounded instantly, instead of every day or every month, etc.

I know where it comes from, but it's nice to know the name for it. The equation by itself doesn't really help you understand where it comes from.

Tac-Tics said:
I know where it comes from, but it's nice to know the name for it. The equation by itself doesn't really help you understand where it comes from.
More commonly called "compounded continuously" or "continuous compounding".

1. What is the Euler number?

The Euler number, also known as Euler's constant or the Euler-Mascheroni constant, is a mathematical constant denoted by the letter "e". It is approximately equal to 2.71828 and is an important number in calculus and number theory.

2. How is the Euler number used in mathematics?

The Euler number is used in a variety of mathematical applications, including exponential growth, compound interest, and complex numbers. It is also used in the natural logarithm function and in calculus to represent the slope of a curve at a given point.

3. What is the significance of finding the deduction for the Euler number?

Finding the deduction for the Euler number allows for a deeper understanding of the constant and its properties. It also allows for the development of new mathematical concepts and applications.

4. What is the process for finding the deduction for the Euler number?

The process for finding the deduction for the Euler number involves using various mathematical techniques, such as integration, series expansions, and limits. It also involves using the definition of the constant and its properties to derive new equations and formulas.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Euler number?

The Euler number has many real-world applications, including in finance, physics, and engineering. It is used in the calculation of compound interest, population growth, and radioactive decay. It also has applications in signal processing, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits.