What is a Collineation and How Does it Differ from an Affine Transformation?

• Thread starter cristina89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, collineation is a projection that preserves the colinearity of points, meaning points on a line will remain on a line after the projection. This is different from an affine transformation, which can also be a collineation but not all collineations are affine transformations. An example of a non-affine collineation is F(x,y)=(x^3,y) and another example to consider is F(x,y)=(x,y^3). The values of n and m in F(x,y)=(x^n,y^m) determine whether the transformation is a collineation.
cristina89
Hello people!
I'm studying about collineation. It seems to be simple, but I can't understand so much and I can't find so many things about this subject...
Can someone explain to me what exactly is a Collineation? Is this the same thing as Affine Transformation?
Is there examples that functions that are transformations but not collineation? I've found about F(x,y)=(x^3,y) but is there another one? Every book that I study just tells about this example, I wanted to see more...

Thank you so much!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Colinear points are points on the same line.
Colineation is a projection that preserves the colinearity of the points.
i.e. if you start out with a line, the projection should also be a line.

i.e. a line in 3D space may be perpendicularly projected onto a plane and the projection is also a line.
But a projection onto the surface of a sphere turns the line into a curve.

You have found out about F(x,y)=(x^3,y) ... what about F(x,y)=(x,y^3)
consider: F(x,y)=(x^n,y^m) ... what values do n and m have to take for the transformation to be a colineation?

iirc: The spaces in the colineations do not need to be affine.
An affine transformation would also be a colineation between affine spaces ... but not all colineations between affine spaces are affine transformations. Something like that.

Related to What is a Collineation and How Does it Differ from an Affine Transformation?

1. What is collineation?

Collineation is a mathematical term that refers to a type of transformation that preserves straight lines. In other words, it is a geometric mapping that maps points on a line to other points on the same line.

2. How is collineation used in mathematics?

Collineation is used in various areas of mathematics, such as projective geometry, linear algebra, and algebraic geometry. It is also used in computer graphics and computer vision for 3D reconstruction and object recognition.

3. What are the properties of collineation?

Collineation has several properties, including preservation of collinearity, preservation of incidence, and preservation of cross-ratio. It also has an inverse transformation, and the composition of two collineations is also a collineation.

4. Can collineation be applied to non-linear figures?

Yes, collineation can be applied to both linear and non-linear figures. However, it is more commonly used in linear figures, as it is specifically designed to preserve straight lines.

5. What are some real-world applications of collineation?

Collineation has various real-world applications, such as in computer graphics and computer vision, as mentioned earlier. It is also used in satellite imaging, where it helps to correct distortions in satellite images caused by the curvature of the Earth.