What Techniques Can Help Decode This Complex Cipher?

• Thread starter everQuest
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a cipher that has been given without a hint. The person attempting to solve it has tried frequency analysis and transposition methods, but has not been successful. They ask for advice and suggest that the last letter, N, may be the key. Another person responds and suggests comparing the frequency analysis with other languages, and mentions the possibility of the cipher being from a friend. The conversation then reveals that the cipher is the railfence cipher with a depth of 3, and the decoded message is about the last words of Ted Bundy and Aileen Wuornos. The conversation ends with a discussion about the placement of the letter T in the decoded message.
everQuest
Need help to solve this cipher...

Hi everyone,

ive been given the following cipher:

HSRFB YEIOG MVMMA RDETD AEOSE UIOII GHRAL BLIPE
DIEJL TOBOR PALBT AWIAP TEATO DOTDU DWRIL KYUOI
EYOEO YAIYN FINSH LSWRS FIENU ROWRI JSLKT SYMAL
NWTTE OKNIL EAKIE NEEDN EAWTJ SSUEI EHMVE IMTES
IADLI LEAKH MGCOD SRNIA ILWSE NEDET VLTFL DETAO
OLWNE DTEAS IIHCD BCKDN CYHUN KEIGH HNLBC EIRFG N

(6 lines, 8 blocks on each line, 5 characters in each block, except last line having letter N standing alone)

and no hint is given. I've tried to do frequency analysis, it shows that letter E appears the most (29 times), then I (25) and then L,A,T,O. So i guess it is unlikely to be substitution cipher.

But then i don't know what to do next,ive tried transposition, but it didnt show any useful message.

could anyone give me some advice to solve this cipher?

thanks,

PS: i reckon the last letter N,which stands separately from the block, could be the key,but i can't figure out how to use it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

everQuest said:
Hi everyone,

ive been given the following cipher:

HSRFB YEIOG MVMMA RDETD AEOSE UIOII GHRAL BLIPE
DIEJL TOBOR PALBT AWIAP TEATO DOTDU DWRIL KYUOI
EYOEO YAIYN FINSH LSWRS FIENU ROWRI JSLKT SYMAL
NWTTE OKNIL EAKIE NEEDN EAWTJ SSUEI EHMVE IMTES
IADLI LEAKH MGCOD SRNIA ILWSE NEDET VLTFL DETAO
OLWNE DTEAS IIHCD BCKDN CYHUN KEIGH HNLBC EIRFG N

(6 lines, 8 blocks on each line, 5 characters in each block, except last line having letter N standing alone)

and no hint is given. I've tried to do frequency analysis, it shows that letter E appears the most (29 times), then I (25) and then L,A,T,O. So i guess it is unlikely to be substitution cipher.

But then i don't know what to do next,ive tried transposition, but it didnt show any useful message.

could anyone give me some advice to solve this cipher?

thanks,

PS: i reckon the last letter N,which stands separately from the block, could be the key,but i can't figure out how to use it.

Try to pin down the the language. Let's assume english. Run a single letter frequency count. If no luck, try di-graph then tri-graph frequency counts...look at the results carefully. I ran a frquency count on your message and it does follow the common pattern of a substatution cipher. Suggest you compair your frequency analysis with the letter frequency analysis of other languages. Becasue the frequency count show preference to certain letters over others, suggest this is not a machine cipher (Enigma), or an enciphered code (Dictionary Code)... If this was from a friend...what prob. words or subject should we look for? Hummm...Interesting! I shall endeavor to assist. At least I got you started. Keep me posted! BlackChamber

It's the railfence cypher with a depth of 3. Since this was a post necroed from 2006 I'm thinking I'm not spoiling anything by giving it away. With the spaces put back in:

he last words of ted bundy were id like you to give my love to my family and friends the last words of aileen wuornos were id just like to say I am sailing with the rock and ill be back like independence day with jesus june like the movie big mothership and all ill be back the magic word is frangipanit

For example, at the start:
Code:
h . . . s . . . r
. e . a . t . o .
. . l . . . w . .

Only real question is if the t at the end is part of the password or goes in front of the "he" at the start to make "the". Probably, since "frangipani" is a real word.

1. What is a cipher?

A cipher is a method of encrypting information by rearranging or substituting letters or symbols according to a specific algorithm. It is a way of keeping information secret or private.

2. How do I solve a cipher?

To solve a cipher, you will need to first identify the type of cipher being used. Then, you can use techniques such as frequency analysis, letter patterns, and educated guesses to decipher the code. It also helps to have knowledge of different ciphers and their common characteristics.

3. What is the purpose of a cipher?

The purpose of a cipher is to keep information secret or private. It is often used in communication to ensure that only the intended recipient can understand the message.

4. Is it possible to crack any cipher?

It is not always possible to crack a cipher, especially if it is well-designed and implemented. However, there are often weaknesses or vulnerabilities in ciphers that can be exploited to decipher the code. It ultimately depends on the complexity and strength of the cipher.

5. Can I use a computer program to solve a cipher?

Yes, there are many computer programs and algorithms designed specifically for solving ciphers. However, it is still important to have a basic understanding of ciphers and their techniques in order to effectively use these programs.

Back