Pacemakers and lightning bolts

In summary, the conversation discusses a lightning bolt experiment being conducted at the University of Washington to test the durability of carbon composite materials against lightning strikes. The experiment involves an arc of 40 kV 80 kA 50 us across a <1cm gap and raises concerns about the potential danger to pacemaker wearers due to the EMP produced. The individual is seeking methods to measure the electric field strength of the EMP a few meters away, but acknowledges the difficulties of doing so due to the broadband nature of the arc.
apchar
I'm working on a lightning bolt experiment at U of Washington to see how carbon composite materials hold up when hit by lightning. We have as much as a 40 kV 80 kA 50 us arc across a <1cm gap from a copper/tungsten electrode to a plate of carbon composite connected to ground. I know this must put out one heck of an Electro-Magnetic Pulse (EMP) and I'm worried about someone walking by with a pacemaker and dropping dead when we fire this thing. I need to characterize the electric field strength of the EMP a few meters away.
Is it a simple matter of putting up a 1 meter dipole connected to a scope and measuring the voltage (E in V/m = V_measured / 1 meter)? That sounds too easy to be right.

Apchar

Science news on Phys.org
apchar said:
I'm working on a lightning bolt experiment at U of Washington to see how carbon composite materials hold up when hit by lightning. We have as much as a 40 kV 80 kA 50 us arc across a <1cm gap from a copper/tungsten electrode to a plate of carbon composite connected to ground. I know this must put out one heck of an Electro-Magnetic Pulse (EMP) and I'm worried about someone walking by with a pacemaker and dropping dead when we fire this thing. I need to characterize the electric field strength of the EMP a few meters away.
Is it a simple matter of putting up a 1 meter dipole connected to a scope and measuring the voltage (E in V/m = V_measured / 1 meter)? That sounds too easy to be right.

Apchar

Welcome to the PF, Apchar. There are several things to be addressed in your post. First, I hope you are doing this work in a shielded area. You are not allowed to be transmitting EMP or other RF energy into the atmosphere. The FCC can get cranky when you do that. This should only be done in a shielded area (indoors or out). And you can put warning signs on the entrances to the shielded area warning pacemaker wearers not to enter.

And measuring the field strength is not simple, because of the broadband nature of an arc like that. It will be putting out RF energy across a broad spectrum, so you would need to use a broadband antenna (like a bicon) to try to pick up the representative time-domain waveforms.

Interesting issue..makes me wonder if anybody with a pacemaker has ever been affected by lightning strikes in the area...

1. How does lightning affect pacemakers?

Lightning can potentially damage the electronic components in a pacemaker or cause interference with its functioning. This can result in the pacemaker delivering incorrect or no electrical pulses to the heart.

2. Can a person with a pacemaker be struck by lightning?

Yes, a person with a pacemaker can be struck by lightning just like anyone else. However, the risk of a pacemaker malfunction due to lightning is low and can be further reduced by following safety precautions.

3. Are there any precautions for pacemaker wearers during a lightning storm?

It is recommended that pacemaker wearers seek shelter during a lightning storm and avoid direct contact with electrical devices or conductors. It is also advised to avoid standing under tall objects or being in open spaces.

4. How are pacemakers protected from lightning strikes?

Pacemakers are designed and tested to withstand the effects of electromagnetic interference, including lightning. They are enclosed in a metal casing, which acts as a shield against electrical surges.

5. Can a person's pacemaker need to be replaced after being exposed to lightning?

In most cases, a pacemaker will not need to be replaced after being exposed to lightning, as the metal casing and other protective measures are usually effective in preventing damage. However, it is important to seek medical attention and have the pacemaker checked by a healthcare professional to ensure proper functioning.