Spaceship hit the ground with a velocity of 100 m/s

In summary, the ball slows down as it goes up, and when it reaches the point of release its downward speed is equal to the speed it was released at.
szekely
Ok so I'm in 7th grade and I think I'm pretty good in science class. The other day we had some math questions involving some equations. One question was something like a spaceship hit the ground with a velocity of 100 m/s and then it asked like what was its mass. This question also included the gravity of the planet (like 7.8 m/s squared). The next question was what was the force of the impact. The answer was something low because the force of gravity was 7.8. I was wondering how F=ma would work here because the velocity makes it seem like the impact would have much more force than what it was.

Then i started thinking about if you threw a ball straight up. As soon as it left your hand the acceleration would be downward at 9.8 because of gravity. So the acceleration upward is -9.8 even though its still going up. I know that if it hits something while going up its going to have a force so i don't see how F=ma works if acceleration is negative.

Just today i started wondering if this was because of momentum and if you would somehow get p=mv into there.

Thanks for all of the responses. I know this should be extremely easy for you guys.

Physics news on Phys.org

in these kinds of problems the negative sign is only there to denote direction, with up being the positive direction, and down being the negative(which I am assuming is the convention being used for your class). This applies for forces, momentum, accelerations, velocities, etc.

When the ball leaves your hand, a=-9.8m/ss. So it is slowing down. If it hits something on the way up, it will slow down even more quickly, so its deceleration increases to a>-9.8m/ss. This is due to whatever it hit exerting a force on the ball. By Newton's third law, the ball will exert the a force of the same magnitude on whatever it hit. To find out the force, one has to know the change in velocity during the impact, and the duration of the impact.

szekely said:
Ok so I'm in 7th grade and I think I'm pretty good in science class. The other day we had some math questions involving some equations. One question was something like a spaceship hit the ground with a velocity of 100 m/s and then it asked like what was its mass.
There must have been more to this question, you do not have enough information to find the mass.
This question also included the gravity of the planet (like 7.8 m/s squared). The next question was what was the force of the impact. The answer was something low because the force of gravity was 7.8. I was wondering how F=ma would work here because the velocity makes it seem like the impact would have much more force than what it was.
If you knew the mass then the force of the impact would indeed be just [tex] F = ma [/tex] with the acceleration being that given.
Then i started thinking about if you threw a ball straight up. As soon as it left your hand the acceleration would be downward at 9.8 because of gravity. So the acceleration upward is -9.8 even though its still going up. I know that if it hits something while going up its going to have a force so i don't see how F=ma works if acceleration is negative.

Just today i started wondering if this was because of momentum and if you would somehow get p=mv into there.

Thanks for all of the responses. I know this should be extremely easy for you guys.

When you throw the ball up it has velocity of +V and acceleration of -g that means (on earth) 9.81 ms-2 down. Since it is accelerating downward its upward velocity is always getting smaller, it is slowing down. When the velocity reaches zero the ball has reached its highest point. It still has a acceleration of -g, so now its velocity begins to increase downward. As it falls in the negative direction (down) its velocity increases due to the acceleration in the negitive direction. When it reaches the point of release its downward speed will equal the speed at which it was released initially. I carefully used the word speed here, since the velocities are not equal, Vup = - Vdown

Does this help?

FAQ: Spaceship hit the ground with a velocity of 100 m/s

1. What is the impact force of the spaceship hitting the ground with a velocity of 100 m/s?

The impact force can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the spaceship, and a is the acceleration due to gravity. Assuming an average mass of 100,000 kg for a spaceship, the impact force would be approximately 1,000,000 Newtons.

2. How long would it take for the spaceship to come to a complete stop after hitting the ground at a velocity of 100 m/s?

The time taken for the spaceship to come to a complete stop can be calculated using the formula t = v/a, where t is the time, v is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration due to gravity. Assuming an acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2, it would take approximately 10 seconds for the spaceship to come to a complete stop.

3. What would be the damage caused by the spaceship hitting the ground with a velocity of 100 m/s?

The damage caused by the spaceship would depend on various factors such as the construction of the spaceship, the terrain it is landing on, and the angle of impact. Generally, a spaceship hitting the ground at a velocity of 100 m/s would cause significant damage, potentially resulting in structural damage and injuries to any occupants.

4. Can the spaceship survive hitting the ground with a velocity of 100 m/s?

The survivability of the spaceship would depend on its design and construction, as well as the conditions of the impact. Some spaceships are designed to withstand high-velocity impacts and may have safety features such as airbags to minimize the impact force. However, in most cases, a spaceship hitting the ground at a velocity of 100 m/s would sustain severe damage and potentially be destroyed.

5. How would the impact of the spaceship hitting the ground at a velocity of 100 m/s affect the surrounding environment?

The impact of a spaceship hitting the ground at a velocity of 100 m/s could potentially cause significant environmental damage, such as creating a crater in the ground and releasing debris and pollutants into the air. It could also have an impact on the local ecosystem and wildlife in the surrounding area.

Back