From wave equation to maxwell equation

In summary, it is possible to reach Maxwell's equations from wave equations if you start with the two wave equations and the Lorenz gauge condition.
sadegh4137
in electromagnetic books, we see by the aid of vector calculus, we can reach to wave equation from Maxwell 's equations.

is it possible to reach to Maxwell 's equations from wave equations?

in the other word, in electromagnetic books we get Maxwell 's equations as phenomenological principles and drive wave equations from them.
is it possible to get wave equations as phenomenological principles and drive Maxwell 's equations from them?

do you try to calculate it?

Physics news on Phys.org
sadegh4137, Yes, this is possible. Start with the two wave equations ∇2A - (1/c2)∂2A/∂t2 = 4πJ and ∇2φ - (1/c2)∂2φ/∂t2 = 4πρ, and the Lorenz gauge condition ∇·A + (1/c)∂φ/dt = 0. Define B ≡ ∇ x A and E ≡ - ∇φ - (1/c)∂A/dt, and you can easily show that E and B satisfy Maxwell's Equations.

It just goes through the steps of the derivation of the wave equations from Maxwell's equations backwards. This can be done for most derivations.

thanks
why we can define B ≡ ∇ x A and E ≡ - ∇φ - (1/c)∂A/dt ?

you consider that B and E define by above two equations.
and these satisfy ME easily, yes you are right.

but if you consider B and E define by other equations,
like E ≡ ∇ x A & B ≡ - ∇φ - (1/c)∂A/dt
these can't satisfy ME!

it seems you know ME before this and define E & B like this.
you should assume we have only wave equation and now we want to derive field equation from them.
like ME, we don't know wave equation.
by some calculation from ME derive them.
and now, we have WE, not before this.

Of course if you define E and B some nonstandard way, they won't satisfy Maxwell's Equations. What's your point.

I don't think you can obtain Maxwell's equations from the wave solutions, because they are just a special case of the Maxwell equations (no charges and currents). So, the Maxwell equations contain more information than the wave equation, that's why you can only go one way in the derivation.

yes you are right, Sybren
but if we want to reach to ME in vacuum, I think that we haven't lose any information. ( no charge and current )
or we want to consider WE in general case with charge and current.

Bill_K, why do you think that other definitions aren't standard?
we have WE & we want to field equation.
we don't know those and want to calculate it.
you define B & E like this and another people define in other way
with your definition, you drive some field equation and another person drive another
now, which one is correct?

1. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves, such as light or sound, as they propagate through a medium. It is a partial differential equation that relates the second derivative of a wave's amplitude to its spatial and temporal coordinates.

2. How does the wave equation relate to Maxwell's equations?

The wave equation is a fundamental component of Maxwell's equations, which are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. The wave equation is used to derive one of Maxwell's equations, known as the wave equation for electromagnetic fields, which describes how electromagnetic waves propagate through space.

3. Why is the wave equation important in physics?

The wave equation is important in physics because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of waves, which are fundamental to many physical phenomena. It is used to study a wide range of phenomena, from the propagation of light and sound to the behavior of quantum particles.

4. What are some applications of the wave equation?

The wave equation has many applications in physics and engineering. It is used to model and analyze the behavior of electromagnetic waves in various systems, such as antennas, optical fibers, and microwave circuits. It is also used in fields like acoustics, seismology, and fluid dynamics to understand the behavior of sound waves, seismic waves, and water waves, respectively.

5. Is the wave equation limited to a specific type of wave?

No, the wave equation can be applied to a wide range of waves, including electromagnetic waves, acoustic waves, and mechanical waves. It is a general equation that describes the fundamental behavior of waves and can be adapted to different systems and phenomena.