Potential between two parallel planes

In summary: So, in summary, the conversation is about finding the potential between two parallel planes with specific boundary conditions. The speaker is struggling with finding the solution and has attempted to solve it using a specific method. However, the published solution is different and uses a cosine expansion to express the solution. The last equation is used to satisfy Laplace's equation for all terms in the expansion.
noamriemer
Hello ! I have an exam this Wednesday... your help will be appreciated...

There are two types of questions I can't figure out how to answer...
the first is this one:

Find the potential between two parallel planes. The first is in x=0, the second in x=L.
[itex]\Phi(x=L)=\Phi_0 |sin(ky)|[/itex]
and
[itex]\Phi (x=0)=0[/itex]

What I thought I should do is look for a solution of the sort:

[itex]X(x)=Ae^{\sqrt{k^2+l^2}}+Be^{-\sqrt{k^2+l^2}}[/itex]
[itex]Y(y)=Csin(ky)+Dcos(ky)[/itex]
[itex]Z(z)=Esin(lz)+Fcos(lz)[/itex]

Then, I should start checking which of the terms should vanish.

But when I looked at the published solution, it was completely different:

[itex]|sin ky|=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{A_ncos(2kny)}
[/itex]

[itex]\rightarrow |sin(ky)|=\frac{2}{\pi}+\sum{\frac{4}{\pi(1-4n^2)}}cos(2kny)[/itex]

So now we seek a solution for Laplas eq. this way:

[itex]\Phi(x,y)=C_0x+\sum_{n=1}^\infty{C_n(x)cos(2kny)}[/itex]
and:
[itex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}C_n =(2kn)^2C_n[/itex]

I don't understand this solution at all.
Why should one expand this function, |sin(ky)| ?
and what is the last equation:

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
noamriemer said:
Hello ! I have an exam this Wednesday... your help will be appreciated...

There are two types of questions I can't figure out how to answer...
the first is this one:

Find the potential between two parallel planes. The first is in x=0, the second in x=L.
[itex]\Phi(x=L)=\Phi_0 |sin(ky)|[/itex]
and
[itex]\Phi (x=0)=0[/itex]

What I thought I should do is look for a solution of the sort:

[itex]X(x)=Ae^{\sqrt{k^2+l^2}}+Be^{-\sqrt{k^2+l^2}}[/itex]
[itex]Y(y)=Csin(ky)+Dcos(ky)[/itex]
[itex]Z(z)=Esin(lz)+Fcos(lz)[/itex]

Then, I should start checking which of the terms should vanish.
That isn't the most general solution to Laplace's equation (which with your factorization reverts to: [itex] X^{''}/X + Y^{''}/Y + Z^{''}/Z = 0[/itex]:
[itex]X'' = aX[/itex], [itex]Y''=bY[/itex], [itex]Z''=cZ[/itex], [itex] a+b+c=0[/itex].
Your set of solutions doesn't cover the case where say [itex]a=0, b+c=0[/itex]. You can try to enumerate every combination of cases but it is better to start with your boundary conditions for some guidance. You see that [itex]Y(y)[/tex] is going to be non-trivial and start there.

It looks like the published solution simply expresses the expansion of Y solutions using coefficients which are functions of the other independent variable(s) and re-applies the Laplace equation.
But when I looked at the published solution, it was completely different:

[itex]|sin ky|=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{A_ncos(2kny)}
[/itex]

[itex]\rightarrow |sin(ky)|=\frac{2}{\pi}+\sum{\frac{4}{\pi(1-4n^2)}}cos(2kny)[/itex]

So now we seek a solution for Laplas eq. this way:

[itex]\Phi(x,y)=C_0x+\sum_{n=1}^\infty{C_n(x)cos(2kny)}[/itex]
and:

I don't understand this solution at all.
Why should one expand this function, |sin(ky)| ?
and what is the last equation:

Thank you so much!
Firstly since the boundary conditions and original equation are symmetric under z translation the solution is independent of z.

The text is expanding solutions of [itex]Y^{''}=bY[/itex] in terms of the cosine expansion of the boundary condition (using the fact that it is an even function of y and independent of z). (One might also have tried a hyperbolic cosine expansion if the boundary condition where even and asymptotically exponential. Cosh is the even component of exp.)

By the linearity of Lap.Eqn. Each term in the expansion [itex] \Phi(x,y) = C_0(x) + C_1(x)\cos(2ky) + \cdots[/itex], must independently satisfy Laplace's eqn.

You get that last equation for all terms even the first term where n=0 which is the exceptional case I mentioned above.

Matching your attempt:
[itex]\Phi(x,y) = \sum_{some\,a,b} X_a(x)Y_b(y),\quad a+b=0[/tex]
[itex]=\sum_n C_n(x)\cos(2kny)[/itex]
with [itex] b = -(2kn)^2[/itex] and so [itex]a = (2kn)^2[/itex].

Thank you for the detailed answer!

What is the concept of potential between two parallel planes?

The potential between two parallel planes is a measure of the electrical energy required to move a unit charge from one plane to the other. It is affected by the distance between the planes and the magnitude of the charges on each plane.

How is the potential between two parallel planes calculated?

The potential between two parallel planes can be calculated using the formula V = q/εd, where V is the potential, q is the charge on one plane, ε is the permittivity of the medium between the planes, and d is the distance between the planes.

What is the relationship between potential and electric field between two parallel planes?

The electric field between two parallel planes is directly proportional to the potential difference between the planes. This means that as the potential increases, the electric field also increases.

What factors affect the potential between two parallel planes?

The potential between two parallel planes is affected by the distance between the planes, the magnitude of the charges on each plane, and the permittivity of the medium between the planes. Additionally, the presence of any other charges or conductors nearby can also affect the potential.

Why is the potential between two parallel planes important in understanding electricity?

The potential between two parallel planes is an important concept in understanding electricity because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and how charges move in a given medium. It also has practical applications in electrostatics, capacitors, and other electrical components.