Electrically driven Turbo Charger

• Thread starter jacques dichi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charger
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using an electric motor to operate the turbo in a regular 1900 TDI car engine. However, it is noted that this has been attempted before with limited success, due to the difficulty of accurately measuring and providing the necessary torque and intake pressure. It is also mentioned that the power required for this setup would be significant and may not be feasible with the engine's alternator. A simplified estimate is provided, stating that the turbo adds roughly 20-30 bhp to the engine's power. Overall, the conversation concludes that while it is possible, it may not be practical to use an electric motor to operate the turbo in this specific engine.
jacques dichi
Hi;
In a regular 1900 TDI car engine,if the turbo were to be operated by an electric motor
instead of by the exhaust gasses,how many HP would be the needed output of such motor in
order to produce the same effect.
Thks.
J.D.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've seen this attempted several times with air-cooled VWs - and I've never seen it work successfully. It may be that it's possible but impractical, as the amount of torque required to force air into the engine requires an electric motor that's heavy, or it may simply be that the turbo (which, being driven by the exhaust, adjusts itself to the speed of the engine) needs to be driven at the same speed as the engine in order to help.

Superchargers are also driven directly by the engine, and so would force air into the intakes at the correct speed. If you want to go with an electric engine to do this, you're going to have to have an accurate way of measuring the speed of the engine, and providing intake pressure that's comparable to what the turbo or supercharger would provide.

This sounds a bit like a homework problem...

The basic calculation method is you need to determine the volumetric flow rate of the engine at a specific speed you're interested in (say 5000 rpm) and the pressure of the input air at that flow rate. Given those values you can use an isentropic compressor approximation to estimate the energy input required for that pressure and flow rate.

Does this help? Keep in mind the power required is going to be big compared to the power capability of the engine's alternator; in fact it's unlikely a big enough alternator will be available for the required power input...

If this is not a homework question requiring a specific answer I will put it in a very simplified way, the turbo on a Peugeot XUD diesel engine adds very roughly 20-30 bhp to the power. It does this by using waste energy in the exhaust.

20 hp = 15 kW.

So the general order of power required is 10s of kW.

The proper way to calculate it is to look at the volumetric flow rate of the engine at a specific engine speed, estimate the intake pressure required at that engine speed, and calculate the power through an isentropic compressor model.

1) In the case of a 1.9 l turbodiesel, if we estimate it generates peak power at about 4000 rpm, and taking into account a volumetric engine efficiency of maybe 85%, that gives a flow rate of about 170 l/s.

2) A TDI engine will operate at maybe 20 psi max boost (P2 = 34.7 absolute) from atomspheric intake (P1 = 14.7 psi), so we can look up the enthalpy of the air at these two states. Basically you can use a T-S or P-V diagram from air, assume 300 K for intake temperature, and follow an isentropic line from P1, T1 to P2.

3) Assuming the increase in enthalpy in these two states comes from the compressor's drive, you now have everything you need to calculate the power required on that drive (flow rate and enthalpy change).

Hi:
I thk. you all for your answers - which I found very useful,however at this point I'm kind of tied up - but as soon as I can I'll retake the issue.
Thks. once again,
J. D.

1. What is an electrically driven turbocharger?

An electrically driven turbocharger is a type of forced induction system that uses an electric motor to power the turbine, instead of relying solely on exhaust gases. This allows for more precise control of the boost pressure and quicker response times.

2. How does an electrically driven turbocharger work?

The electric motor of a turbocharger is connected to the compressor wheel, which draws in and compresses air. The compressed air is then forced into the engine, resulting in increased power and efficiency. The electric motor is powered by the vehicle's electrical system, making it more energy-efficient compared to traditional turbochargers.

3. What are the benefits of an electrically driven turbocharger?

Electrically driven turbochargers offer several advantages, including improved fuel efficiency, reduced emissions, and increased power output. They also have a faster response time, providing instant boost when needed. Additionally, they can be integrated with other vehicle systems, such as hybrid or electric powertrains, for even greater efficiency.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using an electrically driven turbocharger?

One potential drawback of electrically driven turbochargers is the added complexity and cost of the system. They also require a higher voltage electrical system, which may not be compatible with all vehicles. Additionally, they may have limitations in terms of maximum boost pressure compared to traditional turbochargers.

5. Can an electrically driven turbocharger be retrofitted to an existing vehicle?

In most cases, it is possible to retrofit an electrically driven turbocharger to an existing vehicle. However, it may require modifications to the engine and electrical system, and it is important to ensure compatibility before attempting to install one. It is recommended to consult with a professional mechanic or engineer for proper installation and to ensure optimal performance.