How can I find the angle for a combined SHM graph without using a calculator?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem regarding finding the angle of a given tangent in order to plot the graph of combined SHM. The person first tried using inverse tangent but got a strange result, and then realized that it only gives solutions between 0 and \pi. They are looking for a way to find the angle continuously increasing with time, without using a calculator and instead using Microsoft Math.
sadhu
while doing physics , i just stuck on problem regarding mathematics

i wanted to plot the graph of combined SHM but in the formula there is a big problem regarding finding the angle of the given tangent.

i first used inverse tan but got a very weird wave, later i realized that inverse tan can give solutions between 0 -[tex]\pi[/tex] but what i wanted was a continuous increase in angle.
i.e > [tex]\pi[/tex]or2*[tex]\pi[/tex], as angle increases with time(x -axis)

can somebody tell how to find angle

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your calculator is giving the "principal value", specifically that value of t between [itex]-\pi[/itex] and [itex]\pi[/itex]. Since tangent is periodic with period [itex]\pi[/itex] your other values will be that number, plus [itex]\pi[/itex], plus [itex]2\pi[/itex], plus [itex]3\pi[/itex], etc.

the problem is that i am not working with a calculator , i am dealing with microsoft math
it can plot a graph once you have given the function to it. so nothing can be done manually , i just wanted an expression which works

What is harmonic function?

Harmonic function refers to a mathematical function that satisfies the Laplace equation, which means that the function's value at any point is equal to the average of its surrounding values. In other words, a harmonic function has a constant second derivative and no sources or sinks.

What are some examples of harmonic functions?

Common examples of harmonic functions include the electric potential in certain physical systems, the temperature distribution in a uniform material, and the gravitational potential in a vacuum. In mathematics, the sine and cosine functions are also considered harmonic functions.

How are harmonic functions useful?

Harmonic functions have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to model physical phenomena such as heat flow, fluid flow, and electric fields. In mathematics, they have connections to complex analysis and partial differential equations.

What is the difference between harmonic and non-harmonic functions?

The main difference between harmonic and non-harmonic functions is that harmonic functions satisfy the Laplace equation, while non-harmonic functions do not. Non-harmonic functions can have varying second derivatives and can have sources or sinks, which means that their value at a point is not equal to the average of its surrounding values.

Can any function be considered harmonic?

No, not all functions can be considered harmonic. For a function to be harmonic, it must satisfy the Laplace equation. This means that the function's second derivative must be constant and there can be no sources or sinks. Functions that do not meet these criteria are not considered harmonic.