Rotating Skyscraper in Dubai: Innovation or Disaster?

In summary: I also don't think it would be a very practical way to live, with constantly rotating floors. It'd be hard to keep track of where you are.I'm not sure how people would live in a building like that. It seems like it would be quite confusing and difficult to navigate.In summary, this article discusses the Da Vinci Tower, which is a proposed dynamic building that is supposed to be powered by wind turbines. Some concerns have been raised about the design, including the power system and the feasibility of the design. It seems that the building would be quite difficult to navigate and live in, and HVAC and electrical systems would be difficult to install. Additionally, it is unclear how the tower
only_huce
So I was browsing the web when I stumbled on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da_Vinci_Tower"

It's supposed to be the worlds first dynamic building that's self powered by wind turbines and all floors can individually rotate 360 degrees.

When reading about it however, I couldn't help but think about a time in my intro to engineering class when an engineering lawyer came in as a guest lecturer and showed us some of the greatest engineering blunders of all time. Now looking at this prospected design, you can't help but think is it really going to work?

I mean yea it looks great in the 3D renderings and all, but in all practicality I think the architects are really jumping the gun on this one. Can wind turbines really generate enough power to supply a 68 story building? Most importantly, since nothing like this has ever been done before, there's no way of predicting all of the many possible safety hazards which could occur.

I just want to know what everyone's opinion is on this design and whether or not you believe it will be as successful as its architect (David Fisher) predicts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I saw this in the paper today too. It could not possibly be able to generate all of its own power via wind. Wind energy simply isn't dense enough for that. Don't have time right now, but I'll do a quick calc later...

Innovation will always push the boundaries of what's already been done. You mention great engineering blunders; well; most of these had consequences which were unforeseen at the time of conception. Generally, lessons were learnt; and modern techniques significantly aid the engineers responsible for the success of the project. Errors still happen (London's Millennium Bridge springs to mind), but you can rest assured that the predictive work involved in this project goes way beyond 3D renderings.

In terms of construction, the theory is sound. While 18 monts for construction may be optimistic, the idea of factory, modular construction is sound and well proven. Revolving structures are also well proven, though not to this magnitude.

Finally, regarding the power system, the science and engineering behind sizing such generation systems is well understood. Whether it's been done correctly or not, I have no idea! The quote is that solar and 'turbines' will provide power for the entire building (plus enough for five others), but the turbines between floors providing energy from movement of the floors sounds a bit far-fetched. A few dozen kW maybe.

You got to love dubai with all there money and elaborate buildings and proposed buildings.
Im sure they have enough money to provide the amount of solar panels and win turbines to generate the power required to rotate the building. Dubai is also located on a peninsula near the indian ocean so I imagine they get a lot of wind to power turbines.

As Brewnog said "but the turbines between floors providing energy from movement of the floors sounds a bit far-fetched. " I would agree I don't understand how you would get much power from turbines between the floors because the energy comes from the motors that are powered by the panels and wind turbines. Like recycling energy or something but that doesn't seem like it will work veyr efficiently.

Speaking of crazy buildings what do you guys think of al Burj http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Burj
1400m high looks like its going to be more then double the height of The Empire State building.
http://kuusanmaki.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/Al_Burj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps they're using natural convection between the floors? I doubt it, but who knows.

The only concern I have is that it seems nearly impossible to test all of the vibrating modes of the building, particularly from wind loads. It seems to me there would be certain floor configurations that would lend themselves to being unstable.

From a building services perspective, I can't imagine how will you going to fit the HVAC/R and electrical systems to the rest of the floor area, unless you concentrate all these services at the building stationary core which I think is a bad architecutral design.

Yeah, and from a safety standpoint, I don't see how they could make a stairway that goes anywhere but down the center. In case of fire, the building needs to have staiways at significant distances away from one another.

faux said:
From a building services perspective, I can't imagine how will you going to fit the HVAC/R and electrical systems to the rest of the floor area, unless you concentrate all these services at the building stationary core which I think is a bad architecutral design.

As well as plumbing, I guess all the restrooms would be concentrated around the center

1. What is a rotating skyscraper and how does it work?

A rotating skyscraper is a building that has the ability to rotate on its axis. This is made possible by a series of mechanical and engineering systems that allow the building to turn. The rotation can be controlled by the building's residents or through a computerized system.

2. Is the rotating skyscraper in Dubai safe for occupants?

Yes, the rotating skyscraper in Dubai is designed to be safe for its occupants. Extensive safety measures have been implemented, including advanced fire detection and suppression systems, emergency evacuation plans, and reinforced building materials. The building also undergoes regular safety inspections and maintenance to ensure its safety.

3. What are the benefits of a rotating skyscraper?

A rotating skyscraper offers several benefits, including increased energy efficiency, improved views for occupants, and a unique architectural design. The rotation of the building can also help distribute sunlight and reduce heat gain, making it more environmentally friendly.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks or risks associated with a rotating skyscraper?

One potential drawback of a rotating skyscraper is the cost of construction and maintenance. The complex mechanical and engineering systems required for the building's rotation can be expensive to install and maintain. There may also be concerns about motion sickness for occupants, but this can be mitigated through careful design and control of the rotation speed.

5. How does the rotating skyscraper in Dubai compare to other innovative buildings?

The rotating skyscraper in Dubai is just one example of innovative architecture in the world. Other notable examples include the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, the Shanghai Tower in China, and the Taipei 101 in Taiwan. Each of these buildings has its own unique features and challenges, but they all showcase the advancements and possibilities in modern architecture and engineering.