How Old is My Age? Solving an Introductory Question with Variables

The correct equations are:1/6(B-5) = I-52(I+3) = B+3In summary, the person is trying to find their current age using two equations involving their age and their brother's age. They made a mistake in the first equation, but the second equation is correct. They are asking if there is a better way to approach this problem.
pikapika1
5 years ago, I was one-sixth age of my brother. In three years my age doubled will match my brother's age. How old is my age.

I tried setting up with 2 variables

1/6(I-5) = B-5

2(I+3) = B+3

and solved for I then i get a fraction.

is there any better approach to this?

Physics news on Phys.org
pikapika1 said:
5 years ago, I was one-sixth age of my brother. In three years my age doubled will match my brother's age. How old is my age.

I tried setting up with 2 variables

1/6(I-5) = B-5

2(I+3) = B+3

and solved for I then i get a fraction.

is there any better approach to this?
You posted this in the wrong forum. Regardless, while your second equation is correct, you reversed your B and I in the first.

I would approach this problem using algebraic equations and logical reasoning. First, I would assign variables to represent the ages of the person in question (I) and their brother (B). Then, based on the given information, I would set up two equations to represent the relationships between their ages at different points in time.

The first equation would be: 5 years ago, I was one-sixth age of my brother. This can be written as: I-5 = (1/6)*(B-5)

The second equation would be: In three years my age doubled will match my brother's age. This can be written as: 2*(I+3) = B+3

From here, I would solve for one of the variables in terms of the other. For example, in the first equation, I could solve for B by multiplying both sides by 6 and adding 5, giving me: B = 6(I-5) + 5.

Then, I would substitute this value of B into the second equation, giving me: 2*(I+3) = 6(I-5) + 5 + 3.

Simplifying, I get: 2I + 6 = 6I - 30 + 8.

Bringing the terms with I to one side and simplifying, I get: 4I = 32.

Dividing both sides by 4, I get: I = 8.

Therefore, the person in question is currently 8 years old.

In summary, the better approach to this problem would involve setting up and solving equations using variables to represent the ages and using logical reasoning to solve for the unknown age. This ensures accuracy and eliminates the possibility of getting a fraction as the answer.

FAQ: How Old is My Age? Solving an Introductory Question with Variables

1. What is an "Introductory Question"?

An introductory question is a question that is asked at the beginning of a conversation, presentation, or research study. It is typically used to introduce a topic and engage the audience or participants.

2. Why are "Introductory Questions" important?

Introductory questions are important because they help to establish a connection with the audience or participants, create interest and curiosity, and set the tone for the conversation or study.

3. How do you create an effective "Introductory Question"?

To create an effective introductory question, it is important to consider the purpose of the conversation or study, know your audience or participants, and use open-ended questions that encourage discussion and participation.

4. Can "Introductory Questions" be used in different contexts?

Yes, introductory questions can be used in a variety of contexts such as in casual conversations, formal presentations, and research studies. They can also be used in different settings such as in the classroom, workplace, or social gatherings.

5. What are some examples of "Introductory Questions"?

Examples of introductory questions include: "What do you know about this topic?", "Why do you think this topic is important?", "What experiences have you had related to this topic?", and "How do you think this topic relates to your life?".

Back