Looking for introductory collision theory resources

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking supplementary materials for their current studies in classical mechanics, specifically in the topics of collisions and two body problems. They have looked online for resources but have not found anything satisfactory. They are asking for recommendations for a good book or web page that covers collision cross sections, coefficient of restitution, and impact parameter. They mention that the textbook they are using does not have enough information and have also checked other resources but have found them lacking. Another person suggests Resnick and Halliday as a good book, but questions if this is the appropriate place to ask for such recommendations.
lordkelvin
I'm currently in classical mechanics, and we're doing collisions and two body problems currently.

A good portion of the material is covered only in the notes. I could use some supplementary materials. I've looked around on the internet but I haven't found any good resources yet.

I was wondering if anyone could point me towards a good book or web page that covers things like the collision cross section, the coefficient of restitution, and the impact parameter.

We're using Taylor's Classical Mechanics and there isn't enough information. I've looked in Goldstein, and it covers collision cross sections much better, but there isn't enough about the coefficient of restitution.

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Resnick and Halliday is a good book. But I am not really sure if this is a right place to post such a question.

What is collision theory?

Collision theory is a scientific concept that explains the reaction rates and mechanisms of chemical reactions. It states that in order for a reaction to occur, particles must collide with the correct orientation and sufficient energy.

Why is collision theory important?

Collision theory is important because it helps scientists understand and predict the rates of chemical reactions. It also provides insights into the factors that can affect reaction rates, such as temperature, concentration, and surface area.

Where can I find introductory resources on collision theory?

There are many resources available online and in textbooks that introduce collision theory. Some good places to start include chemistry websites, educational videos, and introductory chemistry textbooks.

Are there any interactive resources for learning about collision theory?

Yes, there are several interactive simulations and animations available online that can help visualize collision theory in action. These resources can be found on educational websites and can be a useful tool for understanding the concept.

How can I apply collision theory in my research?

Collision theory is a fundamental concept in chemistry and is applicable in many areas of research, such as drug development, environmental studies, and material science. By understanding the principles of collision theory, scientists can design experiments and predict reaction rates in their research.