Can a Function Have a Limit of 0 and Derivative of 1 at Infinity?

• Thread starter zetafunction
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discussed the existence of a smooth function with the properties of having a limit of 0 and a derivative limit of 1 at infinity. The general consensus was that for a smooth function to have a limit at infinity, the derivative should approach 0. However, it was pointed out that this is not always the case, as seen in the example of \frac{\sin (x^2)}{\sqrt{x}}. Overall, further investigation is needed to determine the exact conditions for a smooth function to have a limit at infinity.
zetafunction
can exist an smooth function with the property

[tex] y(\infty) =0 [/tex] and [tex] y'(\infty) =1 [/tex] ?

the inverse case, a function that tends to 1 for big x and whose derivative tends to 0 is quite obvious but this case i am not sure if there will exist

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose that you mean
[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} y(x) = 0[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x \to \infty} y'(x) = 1[/tex] ?

Actually, I think that for a smooth function to have a limit at infinity, the derivative should have limit 0 (at least that's what my intuition tells me: for the function to have a limit at infinity, it should become progressively more flat, so it doesn't run away from its limit value).

I have some other work now, but I will try to prove that rigorously later (if you want, give it a try yourself).

It follows easily from MVT.

That's what I figured, but I got caught up in epsilons and deltas on the back of my scrap piece of paper.
After finishing my Saturday's to-do list I will take a completely blank paper of normal size and try again :)

On the second thought, derivative doesn't have to go to zero, unfortunetely. Consider [tex]\frac{\sin (x^2)}{x}[/tex]. It clearly tends to zero, yet the derivative oscilates. Still, the derivative cannot tend to a nonzero number, and this follows from MVT for sure :wink:
Sorry for the mistake.

Edit: derivative of [tex]\frac{\sin (x^2)}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex] oscilates unboundedly, while the function goes to zero.

Last edited:

What is a function?

A function is a block of code that performs a specific task or set of tasks. It can take in inputs, process them, and return an output. Functions are commonly used to organize and reuse code in programming.

What is the purpose of a function?

The purpose of a function is to break down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable tasks. It also allows for code reusability, making it more efficient and easier to maintain.

What is the difference between a function and a method?

A function is a standalone block of code, while a method is a function that is associated with an object or a class. Methods can access and modify the data of the object it is associated with.

How do you declare a function?

A function can be declared using the keyword "function" followed by the function name, a set of parentheses, and curly braces. The parentheses can also include parameters, which are the inputs for the function. For example: function myFunction(param1, param2) { // code block }

What is a return statement in a function?

A return statement is used to specify the value that the function should return after executing its code block. It is typically the last line of code in a function and can only return one value. If no return statement is included, the function will return "undefined" by default.