Differential in the arc-length formula for curves

In summary, the conversation discusses the parametric curve \mathbf{r}(s)=x(s)\mathbf{i} + y(s)\mathbf{j} + z(s)\mathbf{k} and the tangent vector with unit magnitude given by \mathbf{r}(s)=x'(s)\mathbf{i} + y'(s)\mathbf{j} + z'(s)\mathbf{k}. The proof for this is shown by using the identity \sqrt{(\frac{dx}{ds})^2 + (\frac{dy}{ds})^2 + (\frac{dz}{ds})^2 } = \sqrt{\frac{ (dx)^2 + (dy)^2 + (dz)^2}{
mnb96
Hello,
given a parametric curve [tex]\mathbf{r}(s)=x(s)\mathbf{i} + y(s)\mathbf{j} + z(s)\mathbf{k}[/tex], my textbook says that tangent vector having unit-magnitude is given by [tex]\mathbf{r}(s)=x'(s)\mathbf{i} + y'(s)\mathbf{j} + z'(s)\mathbf{k}[/tex]

I don't understand the proof that it has unit magnitude:

[tex]\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{ds})^2 + (\frac{dy}{ds})^2 + (\frac{dz}{ds})^2 }[/tex]

[tex]= \sqrt{\frac{ (dx)^2 + (dy)^2 + (dz)^2}{(ds)^2} }[/tex]

[tex]= 1[/tex]

I can't really follow any of the given steps.
*) What is the reasoning for stepping from line-1 to line-2 ?
**) And finally how did they obtain the identity [itex] (ds)^2=(dx)^2 + (dy)^2 + (dz)^2[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
s here is your arc length parameter.
[tex]s(t)=\int_{a}^{t}||r'(u)||du=\int_{a}^{t}\sqrt{(x'(u))^2+(y'(u))^2+(z'(u))^2}[/tex]

So by the fundamental theorem of calculus we have
[tex]\frac{ds}{dt}=||r'(t)||[/tex]
Or in differential form [tex]ds=||r'(t)||dt[/tex]. The differential form is written like this as if we omitted the integral sign.

So we have [tex]ds=||r'(t)||dt=\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt})^2+(\frac{dy}{dt})^2+(\frac{dz}{dt})^2}dt=\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2+dz^2}[/tex]

Does that help? I think what's confusing you is when you can use the differential form. Differentials by themselves are more like identities, that you implement when integrating or simplifying (and in this case they're being used to simplify).

Ah I see!
I forgot that s represented the arc-length parameter! That was important.
and...

Matthollyw00d said:
...I think what's confusing you is when you can use the differential form.

Yes. When I see the entire proof like the one you gave here, it totally makes sense to me. But when someone shoots rightaway identities in differential form I get easily confused. Unfortunately what is giving me frustration is that I cannot clearly spot the exact concept that I understood poorly.

Do you have a suggestion on textbooks/exercises/tutorials that could help me fill this gap?

Thanks a lot!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_of_a_function"
This might be helpful, some of it might be perhaps too advanced though. Unfortunately, I don't really have any good sources off the top of my head, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the arc-length formula for curves?

The arc-length formula for curves is a mathematical formula used to calculate the length of a curve in a two-dimensional space. It takes into account the change in position along the curve and the corresponding change in the curve's slope.

2. What is the differential in the arc-length formula for curves?

The differential in the arc-length formula for curves refers to the infinitesimal change in arc-length along the curve. It is represented by the symbol ds and is used to calculate the arc-length of a curve by integrating over the curve's parameterization.

3. How is the differential derived in the arc-length formula for curves?

The differential in the arc-length formula for curves is derived from the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides.

4. Why is the differential important in the arc-length formula for curves?

The differential plays a crucial role in the arc-length formula for curves as it allows us to break down the curve into small segments and calculate the length of each segment. These lengths are then added together to find the total length of the curve, providing a more accurate measurement than simply measuring the length of the curve with a ruler.

5. Can the arc-length formula for curves be applied to three-dimensional space?

Yes, the arc-length formula for curves can be extended to three-dimensional space by using a similar concept of parametric equations. In three-dimensional space, the arc-length formula is used to calculate the length of a curve in a three-dimensional surface or space.