What is the basis and dimension of a specific space?

• Thread starter brad sue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis
In summary: That gives a basis of {<1,0,0,-2>, <0,1,0,-1>, <0,0,1,-1>}.In summary, the conversation discusses finding a basis and specifying the dimension for a given space of equations. The solution involves reducing the equations to a point where one variable is arbitrary and then setting it equal to a constant. The dimension is determined by the number of arbitrary variables, and a basis can be obtained by choosing specific values for the arbitrary variable. The second problem also involves finding a basis, but has a different solution involving choosing three numbers arbitrarily and setting the fourth variable equal to a specific expression involving the other three.
brad sue
Hi please can you help me in checking my work?
Find a basis for the following space of each of the following and specify its dimension.
2x1+x2-x3+x4=0
x2+x3-x4=0
x2+x4=0

I found in solving the system that x4 can be an arbitrary and I let x4=t
The solution is:
x1=t
x2=-t
x3=2t
x4=t

The dimension is one.
But I am confused about this one:
Find a basis for the following space of each of the following and specify its dimension
2x1+x2-x3+x4=0

Thank you for your help

B.

Physics news on Phys.org
brad sue said:
Hi please can you help me in checking my work?
Find a basis for the following space of each of the following and specify its dimension.
2x1+x2-x3+x4=0
x2+x3-x4=0
x2+x4=0

Are you sure that's exactly what the problem said? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me! For one thing I wonder what the "following space" is! Also, you appear to be thinking of these as simultaneous equations so it doensn't make sense to look at "each".

If the problem has said "find a basis for the solution set of the following" that would make sense.
To do that do exactly what you did:
Reduce the equations to the point where you can say x4 is arbitrary, then let x4= t and write
x1=t ,x2=-t, x3=2t, x4=t.

As you said the dimension is 1 and a basis would consist of a single vector derived from that by taking t to be whatever you want. In particular,
taking t= 1, {<1,-1, 2, 1>} is a basis.

HallsofIvy said:
Are you sure that's exactly what the problem said? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me! For one thing I wonder what the "following space" is! Also, you appear to be thinking of these as simultaneous equations so it doensn't make sense to look at "each".
If the problem has said "find a basis for the solution set of the following" that would make sense.
To do that do exactly what you did:
Reduce the equations to the point where you can say x4 is arbitrary, then let x4= t and write
x1=t ,x2=-t, x3=2t, x4=t.
As you said the dimension is 1 and a basis would consist of a single vector derived from that by taking t to be whatever you want. In particular,
taking t= 1, {<1,-1, 2, 1>} is a basis.

Yes your are right I was mixing two problem in my head.
Thank you very much.
But what about the second problem?
Find a basis for the solution set of the following:
2x1 + x2 - x3 + x4 = 0
Since the only solution would be x1=x2=x3=x4=0, we can say that there is no basis, can't we?

Thank you

bertrand

brad sue said:
Find a basis for the solution set of the following:
2x1 + x2 - x3 + x4 = 0
Since the only solution would be x1=x2=x3=x4=0, we can say that there is no basis, can't we?

But that's clearly NOT the only solution! There are a (triply) infinite number of solutions.

If x1, x2, x3 are any numbers, choose x4= -2x1- x2- x3 and the equation is clearly satisfied. Since you can choose 3 numbers arbitrarily, this has dimension 3 and any basis contains 3 vectors.. A simple way of finding a basis is to choose x1= 1, x2= x3= 0, then x1=0, x2= 1, x3= 0, then x1= x2= 0, x3= 1.

FAQ: What is the basis and dimension of a specific space?

1. What is the difference between basis and dimension of a space?

The basis of a space refers to a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire space. The dimension of a space is the number of vectors in the basis. In other words, the basis determines the dimension of a space.

2. How is the basis of a space determined?

The basis of a space can be determined by finding a set of vectors that are linearly independent and span the entire space. This can be done through various methods such as Gaussian elimination or using the Gram-Schmidt process.

3. Can a space have more than one basis?

Yes, a space can have infinitely many bases. This is because there can be multiple sets of linearly independent vectors that span the same space. However, all bases for a given space will have the same number of vectors, which is the dimension of the space.

4. What is the significance of the basis and dimension of a space?

The basis and dimension of a space are important concepts in linear algebra as they help us understand the structure and properties of a space. The basis allows us to represent any vector in the space as a unique linear combination of the basis vectors, while the dimension gives us insight into the number of independent directions in the space.

5. Can the dimension of a space be greater than the number of vectors in the basis?

No, the dimension of a space cannot be greater than the number of vectors in the basis. This is because the dimension is defined as the number of vectors in the basis, and a basis must span the entire space. In other words, the dimension is the maximum number of linearly independent vectors that can exist in a given space.

Back