Will A Temperature Change Caused by Fire Line Crack Mirror?

In summary, the concern is that the mirror might crack from sudden temperature changes in the winter, and the solution is to install the mirror near a "line of fire" that is kept cold.
rody084
Hello,

We have an installation in which we will be placing a 1/4" thick mirror which spans 7ft across and 5ft in height directly next to a "line of fire" (a gas pipe with holes which will have a flame approximately 6" in height).

Our concern is that when the line of fire is turned on in the winter (when the mirror is cold) the sudden temperature change will crack the mirror. We were thinking of placing the line of fire 12" from the mirror but I was wondering if anyone knows a way that we can calculate this to determine whether the mirror is in danger of cracking from sudden temperature changes.

Thank you!

Rody

Science news on Phys.org
Not easy to calculate, you would need to know how quickly the air heated and what the air flow was between the flame and the mirror is.
I would have guessed that if the flame is above the mirror and is only transferring radiant heat there isn't much of a problem, if the flame can go up and reach the mirror it is more likely to be a problem.

Leaving aside the flame, you might need to worry about how the mirror is fixed. If such a large mirror is fixed to a metal frame and is exposed to large temperature variations (day/night?) you might have a problem stressing the mirror without the flames. You might need to be careful to mount it with some compliance.

I don't know what country you are in but in the UK something like that would have to be installed by a formally qualified and registered gas engineer (CORGI), and properly ventilated so the viewers don't get ill from carbon monoxide poisoning or set themselves on fire. The gas professionals might have some data about the heating issues - and talking to them early about something "non-standard" like this would seem like a good plan in any case.

You could consider using a metal mirror rather than glass - no cracking problems with that, and it would probably be lighter as well. I'm thinking about the plated steel sheet for making tin cans etc which is supplied and transported in big rolls, so getting a 7x5 piece shouldn't be any problem at all.

1. How does a temperature change caused by fire affect a mirror?

A temperature change caused by fire can cause a mirror to crack due to thermal stress. When a mirror is exposed to high temperatures, the glass expands. If the temperature change is sudden and extreme, the glass may expand unevenly, causing it to crack or shatter.

2. What is the ideal temperature range for a mirror to prevent cracking?

The ideal temperature range for a mirror is between 50-90 degrees Fahrenheit. This range allows the glass to expand and contract evenly without causing stress on the mirror and potentially leading to cracking.

3. Can a mirror crack if it is exposed to a small temperature change?

Yes, even a small temperature change can cause a mirror to crack if the change is sudden and extreme. This is because the glass in the mirror will expand and contract unevenly, causing stress on the glass and potentially leading to cracks.

4. What type of glass is most resistant to temperature changes?

Tempered glass is the most resistant to temperature changes. This type of glass is treated with heat or chemicals to increase its strength and resistance to thermal stress. It is commonly used in situations where temperature changes are frequent, such as in car windows or oven doors.

5. What should I do if I notice a crack in my mirror caused by a temperature change?

If you notice a crack in your mirror, it is best to stop using it immediately. The crack can weaken the integrity of the mirror and make it more susceptible to shattering. Contact a professional glass repair service to assess the damage and determine if the mirror can be repaired or needs to be replaced.