Exploring the Engineering Marvel of the Dallas Cowboys Stadium

• Thread starter Golddredger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the new Dallas Cowboys stadium has a mammoth 4 sided scoreboard/screen which is 90 feet off the playing field. There is debate as to whether this is too low and may be hit by punts.
Golddredger
Yesterday I took a tour of the new Dallas Cowboy stadium and it is an engineering marvel. Above the field is a mammoth 4 sided scoreboard/screen, the bottom of which is 90 feet off the playing field. (Its length extends from 20 yard line to 20 yard line)

There is debate as to whether that is too low and may be hit by punts. I’ve read that the average hang time for an NFL punt is 4.6 seconds. To calculate the height I used the following reasoning, does this seem sound?

Discounting aerodynamics, a punted football will follow a parabolic arc, with exactly half it’s time traveling upwards, and the other half downward. That’s 2.3 seconds going up and 2.3 seconds going down.

Using the formula y= (0.5)(32.2 ft/s sq)(time squared). I calculate the average height based on average hang time is 85.2 feet. A hang time of 4.73 seconds and above translates to 90 feet and higher height.

Does this seem correct? I am ignoring velocity/trajectory in the x direction, and only working in the vertical (y) based on time of flight.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes your analysis is correct (assuming g is 32.2 ft/s, I'm not american so I don't know what it is in empirical and I'm too lazy to check). Although to actually hit the jumbotron the apex of the kick would have to coincide with right underneath it. Also you shouldn't consider the average punt. You're interested in the pathological case (the worst possible scenario) so basically given the heighest known kick done from the perfect position.

It is 32.2 ft/s^2 (I'm American and I had to look that up :rofl:)

If the height of an average punt is 85 feet, I think the chances are pretty good that punts will clear 90 feet regularly. You'd need some data on the distribution of hang times to be able to tell for sure, though. I can't imagine that they would actually build a scoreboard which probably costs several million dollars low enough that punts would hit it on a regular basis.

1. What makes the Dallas Cowboys Stadium an engineering marvel?

The Dallas Cowboys Stadium is considered an engineering marvel because of its unique design and advanced technology. The stadium has a retractable roof that can open or close in just 12 minutes, allowing games to be played in any weather. It also has the largest column-free interior in the world, providing unobstructed views for all spectators.

2. How was the stadium's retractable roof designed?

The retractable roof of the Dallas Cowboys Stadium was designed using advanced computer modeling and engineering techniques. The roof is made up of two panels which move on a track, allowing it to open and close smoothly. The design also includes a system of steel cables and pulleys to support the weight of the roof.

3. What is the capacity of the stadium?

The Dallas Cowboys Stadium has a capacity of 80,000 seats, making it one of the largest stadiums in the NFL. However, with standing room areas and additional seating for special events, the stadium can hold up to 105,000 people.

4. How does the stadium incorporate sustainable design?

The Dallas Cowboys Stadium is designed with sustainability in mind. The roof is made of a translucent material, allowing natural light to enter the stadium and reduce the need for artificial lighting. The stadium also has a rainwater collection system and uses recycled water for irrigation. Additionally, the field is made of a special type of turf that requires less water and maintenance.

5. What other advanced technologies are used in the stadium?

The Dallas Cowboys Stadium is equipped with state-of-the-art technology, including a high-definition video board that stretches 60 yards and is the largest in the world. It also has a wireless network that allows fans to access the internet and stream live video during games. The stadium also features a unique retractable seating system, allowing for quick conversion between football and basketball games.