Natural log of a variable times the variable

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation that cannot be solved algebraically and may require the use of software or an iterative technique. The bisection method is mentioned as an option and graphing the expression is suggested as a hint. It is also mentioned that there are no real solutions to the equation and finding complex solutions may be an option.
ill
so I've got this equation down to

x*ln(2/x) = 5

Can someone show/point me to a page where I can see how to solve this. I am under the impression it requires some type of ratio computation.

thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
ill said:

x*ln(2/x) = 5

Can someone show/point me to a page where I can see how to solve this. I am under the impression it requires some type of ratio computation.

thanks!

(hint: Try graphing the expression on the left.)

ill said:

x*ln(2/x) = 5

There are no real solutions to that equation. Are you interested in how to find the complex solutions?

I would approach this problem by first understanding the properties of natural logarithms and how they can be used to solve equations. The natural logarithm, ln(x), is the inverse of the exponential function, e^x. This means that ln(x) can be written as y = ln(x) if and only if x = e^y.

Now, looking at the equation x*ln(2/x) = 5, we can see that we have a product of two variables, x and ln(2/x). To solve for x, we need to isolate it on one side of the equation. We can do this by dividing both sides by ln(2/x):

x*ln(2/x)/ln(2/x) = 5/ln(2/x)

x = 5/ln(2/x)

Now, to solve for x, we need to find the value of ln(2/x). This requires understanding the properties of logarithms, specifically the power rule which states that ln(a/b) = ln(a) - ln(b). Applying this rule to ln(2/x), we get ln(2/x) = ln(2) - ln(x).

Substituting this into our equation for x, we get:

x = 5/(ln(2) - ln(x))

We can now solve for x by rearranging the equation:

x*ln(2) - x*ln(x) = 5

x*ln(2) = 5 + x*ln(x)

x*ln(2) - x*ln(x) = 5

x*(ln(2) - ln(x)) = 5

x = 5/(ln(2) - ln(x))

This is known as a transcendental equation, meaning it cannot be solved algebraically. However, it can be solved numerically using methods such as Newton's method or the bisection method. I would recommend consulting a math textbook or online resources for more information on these methods.

1. What is the purpose of taking the natural log of a variable times the variable?

Taking the natural log of a variable times the variable is often used in mathematical and scientific calculations and models. It can help simplify complex equations and make them easier to work with.

2. What is the value of the natural log of a variable times the variable?

The value of the natural log of a variable times the variable depends on the specific values of the variable. It is not a constant value and will vary based on the input.

3. How is the natural log of a variable times the variable different from the natural log of just the variable?

The natural log of a variable times the variable is different from the natural log of just the variable because it takes into account the relationship between the variable and itself. The natural log of just the variable is simply the logarithm of that variable.

4. Can the natural log of a variable times the variable be negative?

Yes, the natural log of a variable times the variable can be negative. This can occur when the variable is negative, or when the variable is between 0 and 1.

5. In what situations would you use the natural log of a variable times the variable?

The natural log of a variable times the variable is commonly used in mathematical and scientific applications such as population growth models, finance and economics, and chemical reactions. It is also used in statistics to transform data and make it more normally distributed.