Register to reply

Why variables in directly proportinality are multipiled

by 22990atinesh
Tags: directly, multipiled, proportinality, variables
Share this thread:
22990atinesh
Apr17-14, 07:52 AM
P: 58
Why variables (RHS) in directly proportionality are always multiplied.

Suppose the newton 2nd law

##{F}\propto{m}##

##{F}\propto{a}##

##{F}\propto{m*a}##
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
Simon Bridge
Apr17-14, 09:49 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 12,386
If you know that for variables Q, a, and b, if you know ##Q \propto a##, and that ##Q \propto b## then you also know that ##Q\propto ab## ...

This is because that is what "directly proportional to" means.

Similarly if ##Q\propto a## and ##Q\propto 1/b## then ##Q\propto a/b##
22990atinesh
Apr17-14, 11:02 AM
Quote Quote by Simon Bridge View Post
If you know that for variables Q, a, and b, if you know ##Q \propto a##, and that ##Q \propto b## then you also know that ##Q\propto ab## ...

This is because that is what "directly proportional to" means.

Similarly if ##Q\propto a## and ##Q\propto 1/b## then ##Q\propto a/b##
If
##Q \propto a##
##Q \propto b##

then you also know that

##Q\propto (a+b)##
this can aslo be true why multiply.

chogg
Apr17-14, 12:23 PM
P: 128
Why variables in directly proportinality are multipiled

Quote Quote by 22990atinesh View Post

If
##Q \propto a##
##Q \propto b##

then you also know that

##Q\propto (a+b)##
this can aslo be true why multiply.
This isn't true.

The constant of proportionality can't depend on whatever's on the right side. So, [itex]Q \propto a[/itex] means [itex]Q = C_1 \cdot f(b) \cdot a[/itex] (where [itex]C_1[/itex] doesn't depend on [itex]a[/itex] or [itex]b[/itex]).

Similarly, [itex]Q \propto b[/itex] really means [itex]Q = C_2 \cdot f(a) \cdot b[/itex], for some (possibly different) constant [itex]C_2[/itex].

The only way this can be true simultaneously is if [itex]Q = C \cdot a \cdot b[/itex] for some constant [itex]C[/itex] -- or, more simply, if [itex]Q \propto ab[/itex].
22990atinesh
Apr17-14, 12:26 PM
Quote Quote by chogg View Post
This isn't true.

The constant of proportionality can't depend on whatever's on the right side. So, [itex]Q \propto a[/itex] means [itex]Q = C_1 \cdot f(b) \cdot a[/itex] (where [itex]C_1[/itex] doesn't depend on [itex]a[/itex] or [itex]b[/itex]).

Similarly, [itex]Q \propto b[/itex] really means [itex]Q = C_2 \cdot f(a) \cdot b[/itex], for some (possibly different) constant [itex]C_2[/itex].

The only way this can be true simultaneously is if [itex]Q = C \cdot a \cdot b[/itex] for some constant [itex]C[/itex] -- or, more simply, if [itex]Q \propto ab[/itex].
I didn't understand what are u trying to say.
chogg
Apr17-14, 12:28 PM
Proportional to [itex]x[/itex]
means the same as
Equal to [itex]x[/itex], times some constant.

Right?
Mark44
Apr17-14, 03:49 PM
Mentor
P: 21,216
This isn't true.

I didn't understand what are u trying to say.
I didn't either, especially the parts about f(a) and f(b).
##Q \propto a## means Q = ka for some constant k. If you form the ratio Q/a, you get (ka)/a, or k, the constant of proportionality.

BTW, using "textspeak" such as "u" for "you" isn't allowed here.
chogg
Apr17-14, 04:07 PM
Let me start by answering your original question in a different way.

Suppose [itex]Q[/itex] is some function of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex]. I'll write it as [itex]Q(a, b)[/itex] to emphasize this.

To say [itex]Q(a, b) \propto a[/itex] means that [itex]Q(ka, b) = kQ(a, b)[/itex] for any constant [itex]k[/itex]. In words: if you scale up [itex]a[/itex], you scale up [itex]Q[/itex] by the same amount, because [itex]Q[/itex] is proportional to [itex]a[/itex].

You said that [itex]Q(a, b) = a + b[/itex] satisfies [itex]Q(a, b) \propto a[/itex]. Let's check!
[tex]
\begin{align}
Q(ka, b) &= ka + b \\
kQ(a, b) &= ka + kb \\
&\ne Q(ka, b)
\end{align}
[/tex]
Therefore, [itex]a + b[/itex] is not proportional to [itex]a[/itex].

---

Now as to my apparently-hard-to-understand notation: the [itex]f(a)[/itex] notation just means "any function of [itex]a[/itex]". Note that Mark44's constant [itex]k[/itex] could well depend on [itex]a[/itex]! For example, if [itex]Q(a, b) = \sin(a)b[/itex], then [itex]Q(a, b) \propto b[/itex] is true. I used the [itex]f(a)[/itex] notation to emphasize this.
Simon Bridge
Apr17-14, 08:18 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
@22990atinesh (OP): You seem to be confused about what "directly proportional to" means
Here is the definition:

If ##Q \propto P## then ##Q=kP## where ##k## does not depend on ##P##.

(I suspect you've got the first part but not the second part.)

Applying this definition:

(1) ##Q \propto a## means ##Q = k_1 a## where ##k_1## does not depend on ##a##
(2) ##Q\propto b## means ##Q = k_2 b## where ##k_2## does not depend on ##b##

Now consider:

(3) ##Q \propto ab## means that ##Q= k ab## and we can see from (1) and (2) that ##k_1=k/b## does not depend on ##a## and ##k_2=k/a## does not depend on ##b## - so if (1) and (2) are both true, then (3) is also true.

(4) ##Q \propto a+b## means that ##Q=k(a + b)## and we can see from (1) and (2) that: $$k_1=\frac{k(a+b)}{a},\; k_2=\frac{k(a+b)}{b}$$... these expressions are saying that the only way (4) is true is if ##k_1## depends on ##a## and ##k_2## depends on ##b## - which contradicts the definition of "directly proportional to" used to make (1) and (2).

In other words, if (1) and (2) are both true, then (4) is false.

[Note: this is pretty much the argument first appearing in this thread in post #4 (and repeated since)]

You can try this reasoning process yourself for:

(5) ##Q\propto f(a,b)## ... where ##f## is an arbitrary function of ##a## and ##b## together...

... if (1) and (2) are both true, what form(s) can ##f## take so that (5) is also true?
Mark44
Apr17-14, 08:23 PM
Mentor
P: 21,216
You seem to be confused about what "directly proportional to" means
Who is "you" here?
Here is the definition:

I agree, and this is pretty much what I said in post 7.

[Note: this is pretty much the argument in post #4]
Simon Bridge
Apr17-14, 08:31 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
@Mark44: so noted - post #9 edited to reflect your comments :)
22990atinesh
Apr18-14, 12:52 AM
@22990atinesh (OP): You seem to be confused about what "directly proportional to" means
Here is the definition:

(I suspect you've got the first part but not the second part.)

Now consider:

(3) ##Q \propto ab## means that ##Q= k ab## and we can see from (1) and (2) that ##k_1=k/b## does not depend on ##a## and ##k_2=k/a## does not depend on ##b## - so if (1) and (2) are both true, then (3) is also true.

(4) ##Q \propto a+b## means that ##Q=k(a + b)## and we can see from (1) and (2) that: $$k_1=\frac{k(a+b)}{a},\; k_2=\frac{k(a+b)}{b}$$... these expressions are saying that the only way (4) is true is if ##k_1## depends on ##a## and ##k_2## depends on ##b## - which contradicts the definition of "directly proportional to" used to make (1) and (2).

In other words, if (1) and (2) are both true, then (4) is false.

[Note: this is pretty much the argument first appearing in this thread in post #4 (and repeated since)]

You can try this reasoning process yourself for:

(5) ##Q\propto f(a,b)## ... where ##f## is an arbitrary function of ##a## and ##b## together...

... if (1) and (2) are both true, what form(s) can ##f## take so that (5) is also true?
How did ##k_2=k/a## and ##k_1=k/b## come in point (3).
It must be ##k_2=k*a## and ##k_1=k*b##
Simon Bridge
Apr18-14, 05:46 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞

How did ##k_2=k/a## and ##k_1=k/b## come in point (3).
It must be ##k_2=k*a## and ##k_1=k*b##
##Q=k_1a## and ##Q= kab## true at the same time means that ##k_1 a = kab## or ##k_1=kb## ... so well done: but the argument holds: k_1 does not depend on a - in accordance with the definition given in (1).

Can you say the same for ##Q=k(a+b)##?
22990atinesh
Apr18-14, 07:29 AM
##Q=k_1a## and ##Q= kab## true at the same time means that ##k_1 a = kab## or ##k_1=kb## ... so well done: but the argument holds: k_1 does not depend on a - in accordance with the definition given in (1).

Can you say the same for ##Q=k(a+b)##?
Still didn't understand. I dont want a rigorous proof. I just want a simple explanation.
chogg
Apr18-14, 07:40 AM

Still didn't understand. I dont want a rigorous proof. I just want a simple explanation.
Well, several people have already supplied one. But let's try plugging in numbers; maybe examples will help!

You said that [itex]Q = a + b[/itex] can satisfy [itex]Q \propto a[/itex]. If that's true, then for any values of [itex]a[/itex] or [itex]b[/itex], if we scale up [itex]a[/itex], we scale up [itex]Q[/itex] by the same amount.

Let's say [itex]a = 1[/itex] and [itex]b = 2[/itex]. This means that [itex]Q = 3[/itex].

Now let's double [itex]a[/itex], and try predicting what happens to [itex]Q[/itex] in two ways.
  • Using [itex]Q \propto a[/itex], when we double [itex]a[/itex], we double [itex]Q[/itex]. Therefore, we expect [itex]Q = 6[/itex].
  • Using [itex]Q = a + b[/itex], we can just plug in the values. We actually find [itex]Q = 4[/itex].

4 is not the same as 6. Therefore, we were wrong when we said [itex]Q \propto a[/itex] is true when [itex]Q = a + b[/itex].

Proportional means multiply.
Simon Bridge
Apr18-14, 09:04 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
I am at a loss: what education level are you at?

Do you understand that the definition of ##Q\propto P## is
##Q=kP## where k is a number that does not depend on P?
I'm afraid that is as simple as it gets.
22990atinesh
Apr18-14, 09:29 AM
Well, several people have already supplied one. But let's try plugging in numbers; maybe examples will help!

You said that [itex]Q = a + b[/itex] can satisfy [itex]Q \propto a[/itex]. If that's true, then for any values of [itex]a[/itex] or [itex]b[/itex], if we scale up [itex]a[/itex], we scale up [itex]Q[/itex] by the same amount.

Let's say [itex]a = 1[/itex] and [itex]b = 2[/itex]. This means that [itex]Q = 3[/itex].

Now let's double [itex]a[/itex], and try predicting what happens to [itex]Q[/itex] in two ways.
  • Using [itex]Q \propto a[/itex], when we double [itex]a[/itex], we double [itex]Q[/itex]. Therefore, we expect [itex]Q = 6[/itex].
  • Using [itex]Q = a + b[/itex], we can just plug in the values. We actually find [itex]Q = 4[/itex].

4 is not the same as 6. Therefore, we were wrong when we said [itex]Q \propto a[/itex] is true when [itex]Q = a + b[/itex].

Proportional means multiply.
Thanx for example Chogg. This simple example cleared my doubt.

I am at a loss: what education level are you at?

Do you understand that the definition of ##Q\propto P## is
##Q=kP## where k is a number that does not depend on P?
I'm afraid that is as simple as it gets.
Simon Bridge I appreciate your efforts to explain. But your explanation was a little bit theoretical. If you would have said the same thing with an example, I would have gotten it earlier. Anyway thanx for help
chogg
Apr19-14, 07:34 PM
Very happy I could help! :)

Register to reply