Physics textbook, replace sine with its definition (?)

In summary, the conversation revolves around replacing the sine function with its definition in a physics textbook, in order to reduce the resulting variables to one. There are multiple ways to define sine, including through trigonometric functions, the unit circle, and geometric relationships in a right triangle. The conversation also touches on the concept of derivatives and integrals, but ultimately emphasizes the importance of understanding the basic definitions.
1MileCrash
physics textbook, replace sine with its definition (?)

What on Earth do they mean?

"That will introduce either sin(theta) or cos(theta). Reduce the resulting two variables, x and theta, to one, x, by replacing the trigonometric function with an expression (its definition) involving x and y."

Replace sin(theta) with a function of x and y? What?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Sounds like this is on a 2d plane, in which case [itex]\theta[/itex] denotes the counterclockwise angle from the x-axis, and any trig function of [itex]\theta[/itex] can be written in terms of x and y.

Both? Or one or the other?

1MileCrash said:
"That will introduce either sin(theta) or cos(theta). Reduce the resulting two variables, x and theta, to one, x, by replacing the trigonometric function with an expression (its definition) involving x and y."
Unless you tell us the paragraph that came before this, we won't be able to work out what this is all about. What are x, y, and θ?

What is the fundamental definition of sin?

Ill post the rest when I'm at a computer. Thanks again.

Integral said:
What is the fundamental definition of sin?

Well, there are multiple ways to define it. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

[tex]\sin'=\cos[/tex]
[tex]\cos'=-\sin[/tex]
[tex]\sin\left(0\right)=0[/tex]

Another is the unit circle definition, another is:

[tex]\sin\left(x\right)=\sum_{i=0}^\infty\left(\dfrac{x^{2\cdot i+1}\cdot\left(-1\right)^i}{\left(2\cdot i+1\right)!}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\cos\left(x\right)=\sum_{i=0}^\infty\left(\dfrac{x^{2\cdot i}\cdot\left(-1\right)^i}{\left(2\cdot i\right)!}\right)[/tex]

(Might have gotten one of those wrong)

And then

[tex]\arcsin\left(x\right)=\int_0^x\left(\dfrac{\mathrm{d}x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\arccos\left(x\right)=\int_x^1\left(\dfrac{\mathrm{d}x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\right)[/tex]
(Might have gotten that second one wrong, but I'm pretty confident about it)

The formula that is being referred to is [itex]\theta = \arctan \frac{y}{x}[/itex]. Other forms are [itex]\sin(\theta) = \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}}[/itex] and [itex]\cos(\theta) = \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}}[/itex], which can be derived from the previous. These last two formulas are the definitions the text is referring to.

If you don't understand these formulas and what they're all about, google goniometric circle.

What Integral is aiming for is not a derivation for sine that would come from differential calculus or one that would come from a summing of series. He's talking about geometry.

If you have a right triangle, what is the relationship between one of the acute angles and the lengths of the sides?

jbriggs444 said:
What Integral is aiming for is not a derivation for sine that would come from differential calculus or one that would come from a summing of series. He's talking about geometry.

If you have a right triangle, what is the relationship between one of the acute angles and the lengths of the sides?

Ah. The geometric definition. (And those aren't derivations at all, they can be used as definitions.)

Whovian said:
Ah. The geometric definition. (And those aren't derivations at all, they can be used as definitions.)

In that whole long post you never once mentioned the most basic and fundamental definition. :confused:

Don't lose track of the basics.

1. What is the definition of sine?

The sine function is a mathematical function that represents the ratio of the length of the side opposite an angle in a right triangle to the length of the hypotenuse.

2. Why would the sine function be replaced in a physics textbook?

The sine function is often used in physics equations to represent oscillatory or periodic motion. However, in some cases, it may be more appropriate to use the definition of sine to better understand the underlying principles of the equation.

3. How does replacing the sine function with its definition change the physics equation?

Replacing the sine function with its definition may result in a more complex equation, but it provides a deeper understanding of the principles behind the equation. It also allows for more precise calculations and interpretations of the results.

4. Is replacing the sine function with its definition a common practice in physics?

Yes, it is a common practice in physics to replace the sine function with its definition in certain situations. This is especially true in more advanced or theoretical physics where a deeper understanding of the underlying principles is necessary.

5. Are there any drawbacks to replacing the sine function with its definition?

One potential drawback is that it may make the equation more complex and difficult to solve. Additionally, it may not always be necessary to replace the sine function with its definition, as the simpler equation may still accurately represent the physics concept being studied.