Volume calculation between two different trapezoidal areas

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a trapezoidal prism basin for a VDOT job that must contain a certain volume per acre. The person is seeking help in creating a function to size the basin and determining the volume between two different areas, which are trapezoids. The conversation includes discussing the area formula for a trapezoid and using integration to calculate the volume. Ultimately, the person is trying to create an Excel spreadsheet for analyzing sediment traps. The conversation also mentions the prismoidal formula as a possible solution for determining volume.
americanfrank
I am designing a trapezoidal prism basin that must contain a certain volume per acres contributing to the basin. Therefore, I would like to create a function that will size the basin.

My question is: how can I determine the volume between two different areas? In this case these two areas are trapezoids. I know A = a((b1+b2)/2) for area of a trapezoid.

Let's say b1 is the smaller side of the trapezoid.

In this case trapezoid 1 and 2 will have b11 = b12 while a1 and a2 will not be equal and neither will b21 and b22.

I believe that knowing this information will be the key to determining other partial volumes that I will ultimately sum to provide the total volume.

Thank you for any help you may have!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's what I would try. I will change the notation a bit for clarity (for me at least). Let's call the lower base of the two trapezoids b1 and b2, the upper bases B1 and B2,the heights h1 and h2, and the distance between these two ends L. If I understand your question correctly you want the area of a parallel trapezoidal cross-section at some distance x between 0 and L.

The upper base will vary linearly in x from B1 to B2, so its equation would be, in terms of x:

B(x) = B1(1 - x/L) + B2(x/L)

Notice that B(0) = B1 and B(L) = B2 and this is linear in x.

You can do the same thing with the lower base and height to get formulas at x. Then use your area formula with these functions of x.

Thank you for your response. However, I am confused. When you say "area of a parallel trapezoidal cross-section", do you mean volume between two parallel areas?

Thanks.

americanfrank said:
Thank you for your response. However, I am confused. When you say "area of a parallel trapezoidal cross-section", do you mean volume between two parallel areas?

Thanks.

No, I mean the area. You have to integrate A(x) from 0 to L to get the volume. Here's a picture: (the sick looking greenish color represents the bottom of the prism.)

trapezoidprism.jpg

Of course, I may have interpreted your problem all wrong, in which case you should have included a picture in the first place. :frown:

Last edited:
Thanks LCKrutz. This is what I needed to know.

Is this homework? If not, do you want to know the volume of that to check your work or would you rather do it yourself?

no, its an actual application. Designing unique sediment traps for a VDOT job. I needed to determine the storage capacity based on the contributing area from a storm event.
I am trying to create an excel spreadsheet that will output usable information in each sediment trap's analysis.

sounds like I'll need to use some integration...which I need to brush up on.

americanfrank said:
no, its an actual application. Designing unique sediment traps for a VDOT job. I needed to determine the storage capacity based on the contributing area from a storm event.
I am trying to create an excel spreadsheet that will output usable information in each sediment trap's analysis.

sounds like I'll need to use some integration...which I need to brush up on.

OK. In that case, for your reference, here's the answer to the volume of the figure I drew.

V = (L/12)*(2*h1*b1+h1*b2+2*h1*B1+h1*B2+h2*b1+2*h2*b2+h2*B1+2*h2*B2)

What was wrong with the prismoidal formula?

It is exact for your application.

1. How do you calculate the volume between two different trapezoidal areas?

The volume between two different trapezoidal areas can be calculated by first finding the average of the two bases, then multiplying that by the height, and finally multiplying by the length between the two trapezoids. The formula for calculating volume in this case is: V = (1/2)(a+b)h * l, where a and b are the two bases, h is the height, and l is the length between the trapezoids.

2. What is the difference between a trapezoid and a rectangle?

A trapezoid is a quadrilateral with one pair of parallel sides, while a rectangle is a quadrilateral with four right angles and two pairs of parallel sides. This means that a trapezoid has unequal sides and the opposite sides are not parallel, while a rectangle has equal sides and all opposite sides are parallel.

3. How do you find the average of two numbers?

To find the average of two numbers, add them together and then divide the sum by 2. For example, if you have the numbers 4 and 6, the average would be (4+6)/2 = 5.

4. Can the volume between two trapezoidal areas be negative?

No, the volume between two trapezoidal areas cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of the amount of space an object occupies and it is always a positive value.

5. What units are used to measure volume?

Volume can be measured in several units such as cubic meters, liters, gallons, or any unit of length cubed (e.g. cubic inches, cubic feet). The specific unit used will depend on the context and the size of the object being measured.