If I'm typing a long thread / reply (say more than 3 minutes)

• Thread starter Hootenanny
  • Start date
In summary, users have reported being logged out when attempting to post long threads or replies. Some have suggested selecting "remember me" when logging in or copying and saving the post before attempting to post it. Others have suggested checking Windows security settings to allow cookies. Clearing cookies and temporary folders may also solve the issue.
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If I'm typing a long thread / reply (say more than 3 minutes) when I click the post button I'm taken to the login screen. When I enter my login details I;m just taken to the PF main page and my comment remains unposted :grumpy: . Is anyone else experiencing something similar?

Regards,
-Hoot

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you check "remember me" when you log in? Not sure but I guess if you don't choose that it automatically logs you out after some minutes!

Lisa! said:
Do you check "remember me" when you log in? Not sure but I guess if you don't choose that it automatically logs you out after some minutes!

I don't usually do it but I tried it and it didn't work :cry:

Need a lifeboat? "Copy" your post --- then, when you find you've been logged out, you can log back in, go to the thread, hit new post, and paste your work in the field.

As Bystander indicated, for a long post, I often select all and copy it, and sometimes I paste it and save it, then I post it. If the post gets timed out, which it sounds like might be happening here, then I can go back and either repaste (from the clipboard) or copy it from the saved document.

As Lisa! indicated, when you log in you should select 'remember me'.

If there is still a problem when you log out (or get logged out), you might delete the cookie on your machine before you log in again.

Have you checked that your windows security allow cookies? Go to tools, internet options, then privacy, and set to medium to allow cookies.

Thank's for the life boat guys, I didn't think of that. I've cleared all my cookies and temp folders and it seems to have fixed the problem now. :biggrin:

Thanks again
~Hoot

1. How can I prevent my computer from going to sleep while typing a long thread or reply?

One way to prevent your computer from going to sleep is to adjust your power settings. You can change your power settings to always stay on or to have a longer time before your computer goes to sleep. This can usually be done in the control panel or settings menu on your computer.

2. What should I do if my computer does go to sleep while typing a long thread or reply?

If your computer does go to sleep, you can usually wake it up by moving the mouse or pressing a key on the keyboard. Your work should still be saved, but it's always a good idea to save your work periodically while typing a long thread or reply.

3. Is it better to type a long thread or reply in a word processing program or directly on the website?

This depends on personal preference and the specific website you are typing on. Some websites have a draft or auto-save feature that can help prevent losing your work, while others do not. It may also be easier to format your text and make edits in a word processing program before copying and pasting it onto the website.

4. Can I use a voice-to-text program to type a long thread or reply?

Yes, you can use a voice-to-text program if you have one installed on your computer. However, it's important to proofread your text before submitting it, as these programs may not always accurately transcribe your speech.

5. How can I make sure my long thread or reply is properly saved and submitted?

Before submitting your long thread or reply, make sure to save your work periodically and check for any errors. It's also a good idea to preview your post before submitting it to ensure it looks the way you want it to. If the website has a draft or auto-save feature, you can also rely on that to save your work as you type.