Linking current-carrying wires to magnets

In summary, magnets have their own stable magnetic field, which is attributed to the alignment of spins of the electrons of the atoms which the magnet is composed of. However, current is not required for a magnet to exhibit magnetic properties, as electron spin does have an impact.
Cluelessness
This may be an obvious question but I have no idea:
How can anyone link current-carrying wires (solenoids) and its formulae, to magnets?!
All I've researched so far points out that magnets have their own stable magnetic field, attributed to the alignment of spins of the electrons of the atoms which the magnet is composed of. But is that all to it? Are there any other relationships, anything that I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Cluelessness! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Cluelessness said:
How can anyone link current-carrying wires (solenoids) and its formulae, to magnets?!

But is that all to it?

Basically, yes.

The only thing that causes magnetic fields is the movement of electric charge.

Even a charge moving with uniform velocity has a magnetic field.

Mechanically useful magnetic fields come from circular motion or spin of charges.

There's no essential difference between the tiny circular motion or spin of electrons in a magnet and the large-scale circular motion of electrons in a solenoid. :wink:

Thanks a lot tiny-tim! :D
Does that mean magnets exhibit magnetic properties solely due to synchronised movement of electrons i.e aligned domains? So this means that a current is not required like a solenoid? Or do aligned domains produce a current?
Sorry, I'm nearly there...I think :)

i'm really not familiar with magnetic domains, or magnetisable material generally :redface:

i think that if there was a current, it would be called a polarisation current, rather than something to do with magnetism :confused:

Cluelessness said:
This may be an obvious question but I have no idea:
All I've researched so far points out that magnets have their own stable magnetic field, attributed to the alignment of spins of the electrons of the atoms which the magnet is composed of. But is that all to it? Are there any other relationships, anything that I'm missing?
There is no link between electron spin, and the currents in a (air core) solenoidal coil producing a magnetic field. The magnetic field is due to Ampere's Law. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampère's_circuital_law.
Electrons do have orbital and intrinsic spin dipole fields, which do impact magnetic materials and EPR (electron paramagnetic resonance).

The on-axis field in a solenoid is given in http://www.phys.uri.edu/~gerhard/PHY204/tsl215.pdf

Sorry for replying so late! ><
Thanks guys! I really appreciate it :D

FAQ: Linking current-carrying wires to magnets

What is the principle behind linking current-carrying wires to magnets?

The principle behind linking current-carrying wires to magnets is electromagnetic induction. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. This magnetic field can interact with the magnetic field of a magnet, causing the wire to move or the magnet to move depending on the direction of the current.

How does linking current-carrying wires to magnets generate electricity?

When a wire is moved in a magnetic field, it experiences a force due to the interaction between the magnetic fields. This force causes the electrons in the wire to move, creating an electric current. Therefore, by linking current-carrying wires to magnets, we can generate electricity.

What are the practical applications of linking current-carrying wires to magnets?

Linking current-carrying wires to magnets has many practical applications. It is used in generators to produce electricity, in motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, and in devices such as loudspeakers and headphones to convert electrical signals into sound.

How can I increase the strength of the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire?

The strength of the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire can be increased by increasing the current flowing through the wire, increasing the number of turns in the wire, or by using a stronger magnet. Additionally, using a ferromagnetic material, such as iron, in close proximity to the wire can also increase the strength of the magnetic field.

What happens when a current-carrying wire is placed in a magnetic field?

When a current-carrying wire is placed in a magnetic field, the wire will experience a force due to the interaction between the magnetic fields. The direction of the force depends on the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field. If the wire is free to move, it will move in a direction perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field.