Approaching Infinity: Simplifying Radical Expressions

In summary, the student is stuck on how to solve a homework equation and is looking for an easier way.
Jwill

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow \infty}}f(x)=\sqrt{3x^2+8x+6}-\sqrt{3x^2+3x+1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I truly have no idea how to solve this. I know I need to get [tex]x[/tex] in some rational form like [tex]5/x[/tex] but I'm not sure how to do this with the radicals.

Thanks for any point in the right direction

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you rationalize the fraction if that were in the denominator? Do the same type of thing here.

Actually the quotient law of radicals just dawned on me...
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{b}} = \sqrt {\frac{a}{b}}[/tex]

But you don't have a quotient of radicals! learningphysics suggestion was that you think of this as
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{3x^2+8x+6}-\sqrt{3x^2+3x+1}}{1}[/tex]
and multiply both numerator and denominator by
[tex]\sqrt{3x^2+8x+6}+\sqrt{3x^2+3x+1}[/tex]
the divide both numerator and denominator by x.

Yeah I solved it, I needed that law to solve it this way:

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow \infty}}f(x)=\sqrt{3x^2+8x+6}-\sqrt{3x^2+3x+1}}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow \infty}}f(x)=\frac{\sqrt{3x^2+8x+6}-\sqrt{3x^2+3x+1}}{1}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow \infty}}f(x)=\frac{\sqrt{3x^2+8x+6}-\sqrt{3x^2+3x+1}}{1} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3x^2+8x+6}+\sqrt{3x^2+3x+1}}{\sqrt{3x^2+8x+6}+\sqrt{3x^2+3x+1}}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow \infty}}f(x)=\frac{3x^2+8x+6-3x^2-3x-1}{\sqrt{3x^2+8x+6}+\sqrt{3x^2+3x+1}}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow \infty}}f(x)=\frac{3x^2+8x+6-3x^2-3x-1}{\sqrt{3x^2+8x+6}+\sqrt{3x^2+3x+1}}\cdot\frac{\frac{1}{x}}{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow \infty}}f(x)=\frac{5x+5(\frac{1}{x})}{(\sqrt{3x^2+ 8x+6}+\sqrt{3x^2+3x+1})\cdot\sqrt{(\frac{1}{x})^2} }[/tex] <---

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow \infty}}f(x)=\frac{5+\frac{5}{x}}{\sqrt{3+\frac{8}{x}+\frac{6}{x^2}}+\sqrt{3+\frac{3}{x}+\frac{1}{x^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]f(\infty)=\frac{5+\frac{5}{\infty}}{\sqrt{3+\frac{8}{\infty}+\frac{6}{\infty^2}}+\sqrt{3+\frac{3}{\infty}+\frac{1}{\infty^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]f(\infty)=\frac{5+0}{\sqrt{3+0+0}+\sqrt{3+0+0}}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow \infty}}f(x)=\frac{5}{2\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

Is there an easier way to do it or something?

Rationalizing that you get:

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow \infty}}f(x)=\frac{5\sqrt{3}}{6}[/tex]

Jwill said:
Is there an easier way to do it or something?

Easier? Not really: this is pretty much the best "tool" for dealing with indeterminate differences. Some people call this method "multiplication by a conjugate factor". The idea is to exploit "the difference of two squares" to eliminate the radicals and (one hopes) to simplify the expression. It can also be used on limits of rational functions with differences in the denominator.

Jwill, can you explain to me why you multiplied the numerator and denominator by 1/x in the 5th step please?

banjolita said:
Jwill, can you explain to me why you multiplied the numerator and denominator by 1/x in the 5th step please?

It's basically a clever from of one to solve the limit. You just find the highest (nth degree) and multiply the numerator and denominator by 1/x^n.

The work only seems complex because you showed unnecessary working in my opinion. You would only need lines 3, 5 and 7 to justify your answer.

1. What does "limit approaching infinity" mean?

The concept of a limit approaching infinity refers to the behavior of a function or sequence as its input or index value approaches infinity. In this case, the output or terms of the function or sequence become arbitrarily large, but never actually reach infinity.

2. How is limit approaching infinity different from a limit at infinity?

A limit approaching infinity is a specific type of limit, where the input or index value goes towards infinity. A limit at infinity, on the other hand, is a limit where the input or index value is actually infinity.

3. What is the notation used for expressing limit approaching infinity?

The notation used for limit approaching infinity is "lim x → ∞" where x is the variable that is approaching infinity.

4. Why is the concept of limit approaching infinity important in calculus?

Limit approaching infinity is a fundamental concept in calculus that allows us to analyze the behavior of functions and sequences at extremely large values. It is also essential in calculating derivatives and integrals, which are fundamental operations in calculus.

5. Can a limit approaching infinity have a finite value?

No, a limit approaching infinity cannot have a finite value. As the input or index value approaches infinity, the output or terms of the function or sequence become larger and larger, and never stop growing. This behavior is also known as divergence.