Can anyone recommend Calclus Made Easy?

• Thread starter Bassir
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Calculus Made Easy" by Sylvanus Thompson and its recommendation for beginners with a background in algebra and trigonometry. Some users praise the book for its usefulness in reviewing and clarifying difficult concepts, while others believe it may be confusing. The book has been used by famous physicist Richard Feynman and is available in both a 1910 edition and a more recent version with updated language.
Bassir
I'm planning on self-studying for the AP Physics C: Mechanics examination, which has some basic calculus, so I'm contemplating the book Calculus Made Easy by Sylvanus Thompson.

Can anyone recommend this book to a beginner to Calculus with some background in algebra, and trigonometry?

How good is the book?

Physics news on Phys.org
What one fool can do, any other can!

It's a great book. Feynman used it too.

It's good for review or to shine on things you have a difficulty with; not necessarily to learn new material.

The great mathwonk LOVED the 1910 version of Calculus Made Easy, he said that it's pretty much the only book you'll need to learn Calc.

However, his opinion about the recent edition (with Martin Gardner) is the exact opposite.

I tutored a peer that was using Calculus Made Easy (not sure of the edition) and it seemed to confuse and mislead her a bit. I guess it's just a tidbit to consider.

I love the book! Leave the real analysis to books on real analysis. I have to stronglu disagree with Mathwonk, though(I have access to both versions, my dad has the 1910 version, and I have the 2008 one). The updated version(Gardner) did not change the style of the book, just the language(modern notation, etc.) I prefer Gardner for this reason. However, both versions are in print, I believe.

EDIT: Since this book(the 1910 edition) is in public domain, it will not be against the rules to post a link to it: http://djm.cc/library/Calculus_Made_Easy_Thompson.pdf

Last edited:

1. What is "Calculus Made Easy"?

"Calculus Made Easy" is a popular book that aims to make the concepts of calculus easier to understand and apply. It was written by mathematician Silvanus P. Thompson and first published in 1910.

2. Is "Calculus Made Easy" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Calculus Made Easy" is considered to be a great resource for beginners. It uses simple language and examples to break down complex calculus concepts and make them more accessible to those who are new to the subject.

3. How is "Calculus Made Easy" different from other calculus textbooks?

"Calculus Made Easy" is different from other textbooks because it focuses on explaining the concepts in a clear and simple manner, rather than relying on advanced mathematical notation. It also includes many real-world examples and applications to help readers better understand the concepts.

4. Can "Calculus Made Easy" be used as a standalone resource for learning calculus?

While "Calculus Made Easy" is a great resource, it is not recommended to use it as the sole source for learning calculus. It is best used as a supplement to a textbook or course, as it does not cover all topics in depth.

5. Is "Calculus Made Easy" still relevant in modern times?

Yes, "Calculus Made Easy" is still relevant today and continues to be used by many students and educators. While some of the language and examples may be outdated, the core principles and concepts of calculus remain the same.