What is the difference between 'so that' and 'such that' in mathematical jargon?

• Thread starter lolgarithms
  • Start date
In summary, the difference between "so that" and "such that" in mathematical jargon is that "so that" is used to indicate a purpose or end, while "such that" is used to describe a quantity or to indicate satisfaction of a condition. In general, "so that" applies to a verb while "such that" applies to a noun. However, there may be some confusion and either usage may be acceptable. Another alternative could be to use "in such a way that".
lolgarithms
"so that" and "such that"

Have a question about usage of mathematical jargon...
what are the differences between usage of "so that" and "such that"?

"z is a complex number such that Re[z]>0.": correct
"z is a complex number so that Re[z]>0.": wrong

but what about this case:

"Define z so that Re[z]>0"
"Define z such that Re[z]>0"

I really can't embarass myself when I write mathematical papers. please help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Perhaps someone has a more technical answer than this, but...

For me, "such that" means something is already a certain way and you're describing it, whereas so that means that something isn't a certain way already, but you're prescribing it. For instance...

"You have to study *so that* you will pass the test."
"You read a book *such* that it's 20 pages long."

Like, "so that" is a means to an end, and "such that" is just how it is.

I apologize if this isn't right. Somebody will be along to correct me.

In English, the difference between "so that" and "such that" is a much easier one to make, but I'm not sure it carries into the realm of mathematics. "such" is a word derived from "so much". "Such" deals with quantities, whereas "So" deals with qualities.

I looked up "such that" in the Collins concise English dictionary and the definition was:used to express purpose or result."So that",however, was adjacent to "such that" but not in bold type.It seems from this that either usage is correct.When I looked for
"so that" it wasn't entered.Because of the emphasis in the dictionary it seems that "such that" is the preferred usage.I,also,apologise if this isn't right.

"So" means "hence" - there should be a deduction: we choose X so that Y is true.

Or something like that, anyway. 'Such that' can also be used to mean 'satisfying' where it wouldn't be sensible to use 'so that'.

Last edited:

"Define z so that Re[z]>0": correct

"Define z such that Re[z]>0": incorrect

"Suppose there exists a complex number z such that Re[z]>0": correct

"Suppose there exists a complex number z so that Re[z]>0": incorrect

Grammatically, "such that" applies to a noun, "so that" applies to a verb. I believe that is also what Enuma Elish is saying.

im kinda confused because of different explanations

also, you can say "z is defined so that Re[z] > 0"
in other words, "so that" indicates an end, a purpose while such that just describes
does this sum up the correct usage?

Last edited:

Well there does seem to be confusion here and perhaps we are being too fussy.How about an alternative, for example...Z is defined in such a way that etc

"Such" seems to have a quality like a relative pronoun which can be used in combination with "that", working as a conjunction. HallsOfIvy gave the briefest and most useful characterisation. The "such" involved can be an idea having no concrete existence.

Related to What is the difference between 'so that' and 'such that' in mathematical jargon?

What is the difference between "so that" and "such that"?

"So that" is used to show the purpose or result of an action, while "such that" is used to describe a specific condition or characteristic.

Can "so that" and "such that" be used interchangeably?

No, they have different meanings and uses. "So that" is used to show cause and effect, while "such that" is used to indicate a specific circumstance or condition.

How do you use "so that" and "such that" in a sentence?

"So that" is typically followed by a clause that explains the purpose or result of an action, while "such that" is followed by a phrase that describes a specific condition or characteristic.

Can you provide examples of sentences using "so that" and "such that"?

Example using "so that": She studied hard so that she could pass the exam with flying colors.

Example using "such that": The problem is such that it cannot be solved with our current resources.

What is the grammatical function of "so that" and "such that"?

"So that" is a conjunction that connects two clauses, while "such that" is a phrase that functions as an adverb to modify a verb, adjective, or another adverb.