What is the proportionality constant for a pendulum's period equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for finding the period of a pendulum and the issue of not having the proportionality constant (k) to accurately solve the equation. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using the equation for the period of a simple pendulum (T=2π√(l/g)) and the units of time squared that may be involved. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that there is nothing wrong with including the constant (k) and that it reminds the speaker of a high school experiment measuring the pendulum period as a function of length.
Draygon_Phly
In the equation to find out the period of the pendulum (T=k*square root of l) they give me the length (l),or period (T) but no proportionality constant (k). Without the proportionality constant I cannot figure out the equation.

So what I'm asking for is the proportionality constant for this equation.
Thank you. :cool: :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Aside from the issue of what k is, I find it bizarre to see the square root of length in your formula. I think what goes in the square root is going to turn out to have units of time squared. For instance, maybe l/g, which has units of time squared, since l is length and acceleration of gravity g has units of length/time^2.

Perhaps you are looking for the equation for the period of a simple pendulum:
[tex]T = 2 \pi \sqrt \frac{l}{g} [/tex]

Yes that's probibly what I'm looking at thank you. :rolleyes:

Janitor said:
Aside from the issue of what k is, I find it bizarre to see the square root of length in your formula. I think what goes in the square root is going to turn out to have units of time squared. For instance, maybe l/g, which has units of time squared, since l is length and acceleration of gravity g has units of length/time^2.
There's nothing wrong with saying [itex]T= k\sqrt{L}[/itex]. It just means that k has units of time per root length. It reminds me of the first experiment I did in high school: measure the pendulum period as a function of length. I found T in seconds is about 0.32 times the square root of length when length measured in inches. This was all I could conclude: I had no way of finding the dependence of T on gravity, since of course I could not vary it.

"There's nothing wrong with saying..."

Fair enough. In situations where the pendulum is hanging from a point fixed in a gravitational field at a particular value of g, there is no harm in absorbing the reciprocal square root of g into your k constant.

FAQ: What is the proportionality constant for a pendulum's period equation?

1. What is the Principle of Pendulum?

The Principle of Pendulum states that the period of a pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of its length and inversely proportional to the square root of the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the length of a pendulum affect its period?

The longer the length of a pendulum, the longer its period will be. This is because a longer pendulum has a greater distance to travel and therefore takes more time to complete one full swing.

3. What is the significance of the Principle of Pendulum?

The Principle of Pendulum is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the length of a pendulum, the force of gravity, and the time it takes to complete one swing. It is also used in the design of pendulum clocks and other mechanical devices that rely on the regular motion of a pendulum.

4. How is the Principle of Pendulum applied in real life?

The Principle of Pendulum is applied in many areas, such as timekeeping with pendulum clocks, measuring the acceleration due to gravity, and studying the properties of liquids and gases. It is also used in sports equipment like golf clubs and tennis rackets to improve their performance and stability.

5. Can the Principle of Pendulum be used to determine the value of gravity on different planets?

Yes, the Principle of Pendulum can be used to determine the value of gravity on different planets. As the period of a pendulum is affected by the force of gravity, by measuring the period of a pendulum on different planets, we can calculate the value of gravity on each planet and compare it to that of Earth.