A 350 pound masking tape ball, no really

• Thread starter conradisunder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the conversation is about a 350 pound tape ball that has been collected over the years and needs to be shaped into a perfect sphere by October. There are concerns about its elasticity and the potential dangers if it were to roll and hit someone. The speaker is seeking help to achieve their goal.
conradisunder
I work at an office where we have this 350 pound tape ball that is nearly 10 years of high adhesive masking tape collected from the printers that we use. It is a little oblong and we need to even it out as much as possible by october. There are also creases in it from a base that we keep it on to roll it around easily. I am not a student of physics but I think that I could utilize some simple dynamics to achieve our goal of a perfectly spherical ball by october. I am worried that the ball might be too elastic to change its shape permanently. If I can get any help on this problem I would be more than appreciative.

-conor

Physics news on Phys.org
...Holly crap, just be damm sure no one is in its way when that thing goes rolling down the isle and smashes into a cubicle! No one wants to be remember as the guy who died from being run over by a 350lb ball of tape!

1. What inspired you to create a 350 pound masking tape ball?

The idea for this project came from a desire to create something unique and visually impressive. I was also curious to see how large the ball could get before it became too difficult to manage.

2. How long did it take to make the ball?

The process of creating the ball took around 6 months. It involved continuously adding layers of masking tape and periodically weighing and measuring the ball to track its progress.

3. What is the purpose of making such a large masking tape ball?

The purpose was simply for the challenge and enjoyment of creating something unusual. It was also a way to test the limits of what can be achieved with a common household item like masking tape.

4. How did you manage to move and store the 350 pound ball?

Moving and storing the ball was definitely a challenge. I used a combination of rolling it and using a dolly to move it around. For storage, I had to find a large and sturdy enough container to hold the ball.

5. What are your plans for the ball now that it is complete?

My plan is to showcase the ball at local events and possibly even try to break the world record for the largest masking tape ball. I also hope to inspire others to get creative and think outside the box with everyday materials.