What is the domain of the given function when expressed in terms of x and y?

In summary, the domain of the function f(x,y) is x>0 and y>0 in \Re, taking into account the summation for which the series converges. The summation is to infinity and the sum is always positive, suggesting that x>0 and y>0. However, the sum is probably convergent only for x and y in a disk centered at the origin, making the function undefined outside this disk. Further investigation is needed to determine the exact domain of the function.
soopo

Homework Statement

What is the domain of the following function?

[tex] f(x,y) = (\sqrt(x) + x\sqrt(y)) \sum_{k=1}^{\infinity} (k^3 + k) x^k y^k [/tex]
when [itex] D_f \subset \Re^2 [/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

The domain is [itex]x>0 \in \Re[/itex] and [itex]y>0 \in \Re[/itex] in my opinion.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If f(x, y) were defined only as [itex]\sqrt{x} + x\sqrt{y}[/itex], that would be correct. However, I think you need to take the summation into account, and determine for which x and y the series converges.

Mark44 said:
If f(x, y) were defined only as [itex]\sqrt{x} + x\sqrt{y}[/itex], that would be correct. However, I think you need to take the summation into account, and determine for which x and y the series converges.

The summation is to infinity.
The sum is always positive so the range is always real.
This would suggests me that x > 0 and y > 0.

However, I am uncertain, since the solution should not be that easy.

The sum is probably convergent only for x and y in some disk centered at the origin. Outside that disk the sum would be divergent, hence the function would be undefined. It really seems to me that if you want to find the domain for this function, you need to see which values of x and y are such that the series converges.

1. What does the domain x>0, y>0 mean?

The domain x>0, y>0 refers to a set of values or inputs that can be used to calculate the function. In this case, both x and y must be greater than 0, meaning they can only be positive numbers.

2. Why is the domain x>0, y>0 important?

The domain x>0, y>0 is important because it defines the range of values that the function can accept. It ensures that the function will only be evaluated for valid inputs, preventing any potential errors or undefined results.

3. Can the domain x>0, y>0 be written in any other form?

Yes, the domain x>0, y>0 can also be written as x≥0, y≥0. The "greater than or equal to" symbol (≥) indicates that the function can also accept 0 as a valid input.

4. What happens if an input value is outside of the domain x>0, y>0?

If an input value is outside of the domain x>0, y>0, it is considered an invalid input and the function will not be evaluated. This can result in an error or undefined result.

5. Are there any restrictions on the output values for the domain x>0, y>0?

No, there are no restrictions on the output values for the domain x>0, y>0. The range of the function can be any positive number, as long as the input values are also positive.