Electrostatic containment of negatively charged gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an electric field to contain a hot gas with a net negative charge. The main question is how to calculate the necessary electric field strength and how to produce it. The concept of IEC (Inertial Electrostatic Confinement) is brought up, which involves using two spherical electrode grids with a charged gas in the center. The conversation also mentions the attraction of protons to the inner grid and the potential effect of a positive potential on the inner grid. The potential impact of the outer grid on the containment is also discussed.
Landon
I have a hot gas with a net negative charge that I want to keep contained using an electric field. My question is how do I calculate the electric field strength necessary, and how would one go about producing it?

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot contain it if you have a static electric field surrounding the gas. As a particle gets closer to an edge of the containment field/vessel, more and more of the negative charge is "behind" it, counteracting the growing force from the materiel still in "front" of it. In the end this results in no net force on the gas.

Yet IEF works perfectly well. Since there is no "perfect" field in existence there must be some imperfect configuration. If I were to form two electrode grids and apply a voltage between them would they form the electrostatic pressure I'm looking for?

Landon said:
Yet IEF works perfectly well. Since there is no "perfect" field in existence there must be some imperfect configuration. If I were to form two electrode grids and apply a voltage between them would they form the electrostatic pressure I'm looking for?

What is IEF again?

A typo. I meant to say IEC: Inertial Electrostatic Confinement. Two spherical electrode grids are arranged with a charged gas in the center. A current runs between them and the charge develops an electric field which contains the gas. I have since posting consulted an electrical engineer friend who suggested that I estimate the generated field from the potential difference between the two grids, and calculate pressure from the subsequent force acting on the gas. Assuming static equilibrium I can solve for the voltage from the gas temperature. Does that seem reasonable, or am I pursuing an untamed ornithoid without cause?

In an IEC device the inner grid is typically ATTRACTIVE to protons (positive ions). The ions are attracted to the center of the device where this grid is, and most pass through the grid, go through the center, and emerge on the other side to be slowed down and pass through once more the other way. Inside the inner grid, the protons feel no net force any direction from the grid. It is only once they get outside it that they are again attracted to it.

So if the inner grid had a positive potential the negative gas would be attracted to it and repelled from the negative outer grid?

Landon said:
So if the inner grid had a positive potential the negative gas would be attracted to it and repelled from the negative outer grid?

It would only be attracted to the inner grid. The outer grid would have no net effect for the reasons I stated above. In an IEC device, the outer grid is there to provide a place for the electrons to go when they are ionized from the gas. (I think, I could be wrong on that last sentence.)

Related to Electrostatic containment of negatively charged gas

1. What is electrostatic containment of negatively charged gas?

Electrostatic containment is a method of trapping negatively charged gas particles using electric fields. It involves creating a region of high electric potential that attracts and holds onto the negatively charged gas particles.

2. How does electrostatic containment work?

Electrostatic containment works by creating a negatively charged electrode and a positively charged electrode. The negatively charged gas particles are attracted to the positively charged electrode, where they become trapped due to the electric potential difference between the two electrodes.

3. What are the benefits of electrostatic containment?

Electrostatic containment offers several benefits, including the ability to trap and study rare or unstable negatively charged gas particles, as well as the potential for creating stable plasma for various applications such as fusion energy research.

4. Are there any limitations to electrostatic containment?

One limitation of electrostatic containment is that it can only trap negatively charged gas particles, not positively charged ones. Additionally, the electric fields used in this method may cause unwanted reactions or interactions with the trapped particles, making it difficult to study them in their natural state.

5. How is electrostatic containment used in practical applications?

Electrostatic containment has various practical applications, including the creation of plasma for fusion energy research, as well as in the study and analysis of rare or unstable negatively charged gas particles. It is also used in some industrial processes, such as in the production of semiconductors.