EOMs for T Shaped Pendulum with Non-Conservative Force

In summary, the conversation discussed the derivation of equations of motion for a "T" shaped pendulum with a non-conservative force. The system consists of a base mass constrained to move only in the x direction and a top mass connected to the base by a torsional spring. The generalized coordinates chosen were x (corresponding to the base) and theta (rotation of the pendulum). The main question was whether the virtual work was done properly and if any moment-work was required.
bcarlson
EOMs for "T" Shaped Pendulum with Non-Conservative Force

I have a set of equations of motion I'm trying to derive. This problem represents a 2-d approximation of the real system that I'm trying to derive equations of motion for modeling purposes.

There is a base mass and a top mass.

The base mass is constrained to move only in the x direction and is connected by a linear spring to ground which is meant to produce forces that restore the mass to the x = 0 position. Friction is ignored.

The top mass designated (the "T" shaped pendulum) can rotate about the point at the center of the base coordinate system. A torsional spring is operating on the pendulum to produce forces that restore it to the vertical position.

I've chosen my generalized coordinates to be x (corresponding to x-base) and theta (rotation of pendulum from horizontal).

I will include my derivations in reply to this post but my main question is whether I did the virtual work properly? Do I need to for any sort of moment-work?

Physics news on Phys.org

System Figures

Attachments

• TShapedPendulumMovment.png
    TShapedPendulumMovment.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 712
  • TShapedPendulumMovment_Vectors.png
    TShapedPendulumMovment_Vectors.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 657

Pages 1 through 3

Attachments

• 2DStrikerMovementEquationDerivation_page1.png
    2DStrikerMovementEquationDerivation_page1.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 561
  • 2DStrikerMovementEquationDerivation_page2.png
    2DStrikerMovementEquationDerivation_page2.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 690
  • 2DStrikerMovementEquationDerivation_page3.png
    2DStrikerMovementEquationDerivation_page3.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 590

Pages 4 through 5

Attachments

• 2DStrikerMovementEquationDerivation_page4.png
    2DStrikerMovementEquationDerivation_page4.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 585
  • 2DStrikerMovementEquationDerivation_page5.png
    2DStrikerMovementEquationDerivation_page5.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 578

1. What is a T-shaped pendulum?

A T-shaped pendulum is a type of pendulum that consists of a rod attached to a weight at one end and a smaller weight at the other end, forming a T shape. This type of pendulum is commonly used in experiments to demonstrate the effects of non-conservative forces on the motion of a pendulum.

2. How do non-conservative forces affect the motion of a T-shaped pendulum?

Non-conservative forces, such as friction or air resistance, can cause energy to be lost from the system, resulting in a decrease in the amplitude of the pendulum's motion. This can also cause the pendulum to deviate from its expected path and lead to a shorter period of oscillation.

3. What are the equations of motion for a T-shaped pendulum with non-conservative forces?

The equations of motion for a T-shaped pendulum with non-conservative forces take into account the effects of gravity, the pendulum's mass and length, and any non-conservative forces present. These equations can be expressed using the principles of Newton's second law and conservation of energy.

4. How can we experimentally measure the effects of non-conservative forces on a T-shaped pendulum?

One way to measure the effects of non-conservative forces on a T-shaped pendulum is to track the pendulum's motion using a motion sensor or a high-speed camera. By analyzing the data collected, we can observe changes in the pendulum's amplitude and period, which can indicate the presence of non-conservative forces.

5. What are some real-life applications of studying EOMs for T-shaped pendulums with non-conservative forces?

Studying EOMs for T-shaped pendulums with non-conservative forces can help us understand the behavior of systems that are subject to external forces. This knowledge can be applied in fields such as engineering, where it can be used to design more efficient and stable structures, or in physics, where it can aid in the development of more accurate models of motion.