What are some recommended books for learning differential equations?

In summary: It has a longer introduction but all the examples and solutions are there.Get "Elementary Differential Equations" by Boyce and DiPrima. Boyce "is the man" according to my DE professor. She loves him...The book is very concise but doesn't skip material, it's a must have.I agree, Boyce and DiPrima is the book to have.
Laplace_Wy
Hello. Do any of you have any good books on DE? Because I was really disappointed with my Calculus book. It had plenty of typos and mistakes in the examples and solved problems.

I am looking for a good book that I might be able to order on the internet or in a bookstore.

Physics news on Phys.org
Get "Elementary Differential Equations" by Boyce and DiPrima. Boyce "is the man" according to my DE professor. She loves him...

The book is very concise but doesn't skip material, it's a must have.

I agree, Boyce and DiPrima is the book to have. I essentially learned Differential Equations from it years ago by methodically doing all the problems and retain much of that knowledge today.

dt

Shaum's Outline has always been a loyal friend. I highly recommend Standard Deviant's Differential Equations. Its highly informative and entertaining. I got it on vhs at Border's Bookstore.

I also recommend The Handbook Of Differential Equations by Zwellinger. This book contains every technique to solving diff eq known to man.

Yep, I already have Schaum's Outline. But I might need another book to cover partial differential equations (PDE's).

For PDE two books come to mind:

Solutions to Partial Differential Equations, by Duffy

Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers by Fairly

Those books are absolutely lovely!

The first book was written by an Naval Officer for cadets so the book is pretty straightforward.

The second book is my first choice. The author walks through the math models the PDE are based on. It even has a crossword puzzle on PDE.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Ugh! Whenever DE books come up everyone brings up Boyce & Diprima. I think it's one of those books with all the information for people who already know the subject (so professors love it) but it's not 'user friendly' and the edition i had (back in 1982) had very few worked problems & no answers to the homework. I would start with the very fine intro at the top of this forum & then look at "Diff. Equations" by Reddick. Then tackle B & D.

The Schaums outline: Fourier Analysis does a halfway decent job of PDE's and introduces special functions.

dt

The author of the book with the PDE Crossword Puzzle is not Fairly: it is
S.J.Farlow "PDE for Scientists & Engineers": Wiley
isbn 0-471-89180-0
(13 Across: "The equation utt = uxx is commonly called the ___ equation")

The 7th edition of "Elementary Differential Equations" by Boyce and DiPrima is an excellent book, each section has atleast several examples and good proofs and every answer (yes, including the evens) are included in the back of the book.

The author of the book with the PDE Crossword Puzzle is not Fairly: it is

I stand corrected. :smile: I was drawing from memory when the well was dry. I have an edition published by Dover.

What is a differential equations book and why is it important?

A differential equations book is a textbook that covers the topic of differential equations, which are mathematical equations used to model and describe the behavior of systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is important because differential equations are a fundamental tool in many scientific and mathematical disciplines, and a comprehensive understanding of them is necessary for further study and research.

What are the key concepts and topics covered in a differential equations book?

A differential equations book typically covers topics such as first-order and higher-order ordinary differential equations, systems of differential equations, Laplace transforms, Fourier series, and partial differential equations. It also includes applications of differential equations in various fields and techniques for solving them analytically and numerically.

Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to understand a differential equations book?

Yes, a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and ordinary differential equations is necessary to fully comprehend a differential equations book. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of physics and engineering concepts, as many real-world problems modeled by differential equations come from these fields.

Are there any resources available to supplement a differential equations book?

Yes, there are many online resources, such as video lectures, practice problems, and interactive simulations, that can aid in understanding and practicing differential equations. Additionally, many universities offer online courses and tutorials on the subject.

Are there any real-world applications of differential equations covered in a differential equations book?

Yes, differential equations have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, biology, economics, and chemistry. Some common examples include modeling population growth, calculating the motion of a pendulum, and predicting the spread of diseases.