Register to reply

Force experienced by a current-carrying conductor placed in a magnetic field

Share this thread:
richieec
Apr8-12, 07:33 AM
P: 2
I'm a little bit confused about this...i know that when a current-carrying conductor is placed in a magnetic field, it experiences a force called Lorentz force, this is the formula:

F = Bil

but the thing i can't understand is whether this FORCE is perpendicular to the magnetic field or the magnetic field is perpendicular to the CURRENT?

by the right hand rule, i can see easily that the magnetic field is perpendicular to the force, but in some books and examples it says that the current must be perpendicular to the magnetic field for applies this formula.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Refocusing research into high-temperature superconductors
Neutron tomography technique reveals phase fractions of crystalline materials in 3-dimensions
Tiny magnets, huge fields: Nanoscale ferromagnetic electrodes create chemical equivalent of solid-state spin valve
tiny-tim
Apr8-12, 07:49 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
hi richieec! welcome to pf!
Quote Quote by richieec View Post
F = Bil

but the thing i can't understand is whether this FORCE is perpendicular to the magnetic field or the magnetic field is perpendicular to the CURRENT?

in some books and examples it says that the current must be perpendicular to the magnetic field for applies this formula.
for this formula, yes

the general formula is F = I l x B

so this formula, F = BIl, only works if the current direction (l) is perpendicular to the magnetic field

Register to reply