What is the relationship between ker(A) and ker(A^TA)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between ker(BA) and ker(A) when B = A transpose. It is mentioned that they are equal to each other, but the reason is not clear. It is then explained that ker(BA) is a subset of A and that showing ker(A^T*A) is a subset of ker(A) demonstrates that they are equal. The use of Latex is suggested for clarity in understanding the concept.
johndoe3344
B= A transpose

What is the relation between ker(BA) and ker(A)? I was told that they are equal to each other, but I can't figure out why.

ker(A) => Ax = 0
ker(BA) => BAx = 0 so that BA is a subset of A. This shows that ker(BA) =0 whenever ker(A) = 0, but how does this also show that they are equal?

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be the case that your shorthand is obscuring things -- try writing things more precisely, and maybe the answer will become more clear.

Hi, thanks for your response.

What do you mean my shorthand? I only said that B = A transpose because I didn't know how to write the superscript T on the forums (is that what you meant?)

Does showing that ker(A^T*A) is a subset of ker(A) show that they are equal?

Let me use Latex for your convenience (you can click on them to learn how to write in case you don't know)...

[tex]B = A^T[/tex]

Then,

[tex]\ker{(A)} \Rightarrow Ax=0[/tex] and [tex]\ker{(BA)} \Rightarrow BAx = 0[/tex]

Now plug B in

[tex]\ker{(A^TA)} \Rightarrow A^TAx = 0[/tex]

And what do you know about [itex]A^TA[/itex]?

What is the "Kernel of the Transpose"?

The "Kernel of the Transpose" refers to the set of all vectors that, when multiplied by the transpose of a given matrix, result in a zero vector.

Why is the "Kernel of the Transpose" important?

The "Kernel of the Transpose" is important because it helps to determine the rank of a matrix. The number of vectors in the "Kernel of the Transpose" is equal to the number of linearly independent rows or columns in the original matrix.

How is the "Kernel of the Transpose" calculated?

The "Kernel of the Transpose" can be calculated by finding the null space of the transpose matrix using techniques such as Gaussian elimination or row reduction.

What is the relationship between the "Kernel" and the "Kernel of the Transpose"?

The "Kernel" and the "Kernel of the Transpose" are complementary to each other. The "Kernel" refers to the set of vectors that result in a zero vector when multiplied by a given matrix, while the "Kernel of the Transpose" refers to the set of vectors that result in a zero vector when multiplied by the transpose of the same matrix.

Can the "Kernel of the Transpose" be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the "Kernel of the Transpose" to be empty. This means that there are no vectors that, when multiplied by the transpose of a matrix, result in a zero vector. In this case, the matrix is said to have full rank.