Calculating flux through a surface area

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the Flux of a vector field on a portion of a curve with given parameters using the cross product and relevant integration. The method can be simplified by using the divergence theorem or Stokes' theorem, or by using BiPolar coordinates.
dan38
S is a portion of a curve with r(u,v)
where 0 < u < 2 and 0 < v < 2pi

I'm meant to calculate Flux of the vector field F

My Calculations
First found dr/du
then dr/dv

Using the cross product, I found N = (- u cos (v) + 5 sin (v), -5 cos (v) - u sin(v), u)
Then I dot product with the given F (after putting it in terms of "u" and "v")
Then I do the relevant integration

I think my method is correct, however since my cross product yields an extremely long vector it makes all my following calculations really tedious.
So just want to check if there's a easy way to do this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no way to answer that without knowing what r(u,v) is. Some surfaces have "simple" differentials of surface area, some complicated ones. (What you give does NOT seem "extremely long" to me!)

Use the divergence theorem or Stokes' theorem.

BiP

What is flux through a surface area?

Flux through a surface area is a measure of the flow of a physical quantity (such as a force or energy) through a specified surface. It is typically represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of (quantity per unit time) · (area).

How is flux through a surface area calculated?

The flux through a surface area can be calculated using the formula Φ = ∫∫S F · dS, where F is the vector field and dS is the differential surface area element. This integral is often solved using the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector of the surface.

What is the unit of measurement for flux through a surface area?

The unit of measurement for flux through a surface area is typically (quantity per unit time) · (area), such as joules per second per square meter for energy flux or newtons per square meter for force flux.

What factors can affect the flux through a surface area?

The flux through a surface area can be affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the vector field, the shape and orientation of the surface, and the distance between the surface and the source of the flux.

What are some real-life applications of calculating flux through a surface area?

Calculating flux through a surface area has many real-life applications, such as determining the rate of heat transfer through a window, measuring the flow of air through a ventilation system, or calculating the amount of light reaching a solar panel. It is also used in various fields of science and engineering, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.