Is SL(2,Z3) the Only Group with 24 Elements?

• Thread starter ossito_the-diracian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Abstract
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of finding all elements in the group SL(2,Z3) where a, b, c, and d are integers and ad-bc=1 or Det[A]=1. It is stated that there are only 3 elements in Z3, with all others being repeats. The speaker also mentions being able to write 24 elements with ad-bc=1 and expresses difficulty in proving that all elements have been found. The conversation also brings up the well-known formula for the order of finite Chevalley groups and finite Lie groups, which applies to SL(2,Z3). It is then explained that the first row of the elements can be any of 8 non-zero row vectors, with the
ossito_the-diracian
i have a question about elements in SL(2,Z3), a,b,c,d are intergers and ad-bc=1 or Det [A]=1. i have to write all the matrices of this group and prove that I do have all of them.

i know that only 3 elements exists in Z3 {[0],[1],[2]} with all others just being repeats. i.e. [-3]=0, [[4]=[1].

i can write 24 elements with ad-bc=1,
i.e. [[1,2],[2,2]] which is [1][2]-[2][2]=[2]-[4]=[-2]=[1]

my problem is that i can't quite write WHY i have found all elements and they are no more, i was trying to appraoch i using contradiction but can't get started

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a well known formula for the formula of order of finite chevalley groups and finite lie groups, of whic SL(2,Z_3) is one.

The first row may be any of 8 non-zero row vectors, ie a and b can be any pair except 0,0. Now, for each pair, one of the entries must be non-zero, you may now insert any of the elements of Z3 in the slot beneath this non-zero one, and this determines what the remaining 4th entry must be. hence counting them there are 8*3=24 elements.

SL(2,Z3) is not the only group with 24 elements. There are other groups with 24 elements, such as Dihedral group D12, Quaternion group Q8, and Symmetric group S4. These groups have different structures and properties, but they all have 24 elements.

To prove that you have found all 24 elements in SL(2,Z3), you need to show that every possible combination of a, b, c, and d results in a unique matrix with ad-bc=1. This can be done by considering all the possible values of a, b, c, and d in Z3 and showing that they satisfy the condition ad-bc=1.

For example, consider the matrix [a,b;c,d]=[2,1;0,2]. This satisfies the condition ad-bc=1 since 2*2-0*1=4-0=1. However, [a,b;c,d]=[2,1;1,2] also satisfies the condition since 2*2-1*1=4-1=3 which is equivalent to 1 in Z3. This shows that there are multiple ways to write the same matrix in SL(2,Z3).

To show that you have found all 24 elements, you can also use the fact that SL(2,Z3) is a subgroup of GL(2,Z3) (the general linear group of 2x2 matrices over Z3). Since GL(2,Z3) has 24 elements, and SL(2,Z3) is a subset of GL(2,Z3), it follows that SL(2,Z3) must also have 24 elements.

In summary, to prove that you have found all 24 elements in SL(2,Z3), you need to show that every possible combination of a, b, c, and d results in a unique matrix with ad-bc=1, and that there are no other matrices in SL(2,Z3) that satisfy this condition. This can be done by considering the properties of SL(2,Z3) and its relationship to GL(2,Z3).

1. What is "Abstract alg - SL(2,Z3)"?

"Abstract alg - SL(2,Z3)" refers to the abstract algebraic structure known as the special linear group of 2x2 matrices over the field of integers mod 3 (also known as Z3). It is denoted as SL(2,Z3) and is a group that consists of all 2x2 matrices with determinant 1 and entries from the set {0,1,2}.

2. What are the elements of SL(2,Z3)?

The elements of SL(2,Z3) are all 2x2 matrices with determinant 1 and entries from the set {0,1,2}. This includes matrices such as [[1,0],[2,1]], [[2,1],[0,2]], and [[0,2],[1,1]]. There are a total of 24 elements in this group.

3. How is the group operation defined in SL(2,Z3)?

The group operation in SL(2,Z3) is matrix multiplication. This means that to multiply two matrices in this group, we would multiply them as we normally would for matrices, but with the additional restriction that the entries must come from the set {0,1,2}. The resulting matrix must also have determinant 1 in order to be an element of SL(2,Z3).

4. What is the significance of "SL(2,Z3)" in mathematics?

"SL(2,Z3)" has significance in mathematics as it is an example of a finite group, which is a group that has a finite number of elements. It is also an example of a special linear group, which is a type of group that is often studied in algebra and geometry. Additionally, the group SL(2,Z3) has applications in areas such as number theory, cryptography, and physics.

5. How is SL(2,Z3) different from other groups?

SL(2,Z3) is different from other groups in several ways. Firstly, it is a finite group, meaning it has a finite number of elements. Secondly, it is a special linear group, which means that its elements are restricted to matrices with determinant 1. Additionally, SL(2,Z3) has specific properties and characteristics that distinguish it from other groups, such as its group operation being matrix multiplication and its elements coming from the set {0,1,2}.