Exploring the Limits of Ruler and Compass Constructions in Abstract Algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of abstract algebra in proving the impossibility of certain constructions using ruler and compass, as well as the possibility of abstract algebra suggesting new tools or operations that could perform these prohibited constructions. The conversation also touches on the minimum set of tools needed for comprehensive constructions in elementary algebra and the physical appearance of these tools. Finally, the conversation mentions references for Greek compasses and straightedges.
mishima
Hi, I know next to nothing about abstract algebra (had one intro-class years ago), so sorry if this is a dumb question. I was browsing through "A book on abstract algebra" by Pinter and had a thought. In the chapter called "ruler and compass" (chapter 30) he talks about how abstract algebra can prove the impossibility of certain constructions using ruler and compass: doubling the cube, trisecting any angle, and squaring the circle.

I was wondering if abstract algebra can also suggest new instruments which include those prohibited constructions as possibilities?

Like can it describe new tools which are able to perform those constructions which haven't been invented yet?

Or is it really saying that there can never be ANY tool, or combinations of ANY tools, which can perform those feats?

Thanks for any insight on this.

edit: Or maybe a better way to ask this would be to ask if it can suggest new "operations" which mimic the behavior of real-life tools.

Physics news on Phys.org
Certainly there are ways of trisecting angles with other instruments. In fact, I notice you titled this "Ruler and compass". That's sufficient! The usual "instruments" are a straightedge (unmarked) and compass, not "ruler" and compass. In fact, allowing you to mark a single distance on your straight edge and "measure" with that is enough. There is also the "trisection tool" (four lines with hinged connectors), the "tomahawk", "carpenter's square", and "limacon", "MacLaurin's trisectrix", etc.. You can read about them at
http://www.jimloy.com/geometry/trisect.htm#tools

Last edited by a moderator:
the straightedge and compass constructions suffice to solve quadratic equations. thus only lengths can be thus constructed that occur as solutions of repeated quaDRATIc EQUATIONS.

the problems you describe require either solutions of cubic equations, or in one case at least, a length that satisfies no algebraic equation.so your question is sort of like asking "if a number cannot be a solution of quadratic equations, can it still be found some other way?" often, yes.

Very cool.

So is there a minimum set of tools that could offer comprehensive constructions for all elementary algebra (polynomials < 5th degree)? Is that question answerable using abstract algebra?

Can the physical appearance of those "appropriate" tools be learned from abstract algebra alone? Like if the tomahawk was never invented, could abstract algebra have suggested its existence?

And I may as well ask this semi-related question, does anyone know any references that show actual Greek compasses and straightedges or describe how they were made in ancient times? Thanks again.

mishima said:
Very cool.

So is there a minimum set of tools that could offer comprehensive constructions for all elementary algebra (polynomials < 5th degree)? Is that question answerable using abstract algebra?

Can the physical appearance of those "appropriate" tools be learned from abstract algebra alone? Like if the tomahawk was never invented, could abstract algebra have suggested its existence?

And I may as well ask this semi-related question, does anyone know any references that show actual Greek compasses and straightedges or describe how they were made in ancient times? Thanks again.

You might be interested in taking a look at the basic Wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass_and_straightedge_constructions

One factoid of interest is that if you are allowed to put a mark on your straightedge indicating a known distance, you can then solve problems you couldn't solve without the mark.

I have read that factoid, but when I also read the subsequent construction it seemed to em it involved a procedure that cannot be made precise. I.e. given a straightedge with two marks on it , one is required to position it so that one mark lies on a certain line and the other on another line and the ruler also passes through a given point off the lines, (see Hartshorne, Geometry, Euclid and beyond, page 260). I cannot see any precise way to actually do this even with a marked ruler. I.e. it is an "eyeball" procedure that has no algorithm for executing it. Perhaps I have missed the point.

You could do it if you had holes in your ruler at each marked point, and nails through the holes resting in tracks corresponding to the two lines. Then you could slide the mark on the ruler along one line and the track would force the mark to remain also on the other line as the ruler moved until it passed through the given point, but this requires a lot more than a mark on the ruler. So I consider this "construction" a bit forced, and not fully described by the usual language of just a marked ruler.

Last edited:

1. What is "Ruler and Compass Revision"?

"Ruler and Compass Revision" is a mathematical concept that involves using only a straight edge ruler and a compass to construct geometric figures and solve problems.

2. How is "Ruler and Compass Revision" different from other mathematical methods?

"Ruler and Compass Revision" is unique because it relies solely on the use of a ruler and compass, without the use of any other tools or instruments. This method is based on the principles of Euclidean geometry and can be used to solve a wide range of geometric problems.

3. What are some common applications of "Ruler and Compass Revision"?

"Ruler and Compass Revision" can be used in a variety of fields, such as architecture, engineering, and art. It is also commonly used in mathematics education as a way to develop geometric thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any limitations to using "Ruler and Compass Revision"?

While "Ruler and Compass Revision" can be a powerful and versatile tool, it does have some limitations. For example, it is not always possible to construct certain geometric figures or solve certain problems using only a ruler and compass.

5. How can I improve my skills in using "Ruler and Compass Revision"?

Like any other skill, practice is key when it comes to "Ruler and Compass Revision". The more you work with this method, the better you will become at constructing figures and solving problems. It can also be helpful to study and familiarize yourself with different geometric constructions and their properties.