Help understanding this approximation

In summary: How do the authors arrive at that expression?The authors use the asymptotic expansion to approximate the original equation (4.31), which involves the number of "e-foldings" (N_e). Using the expansion with respect to the inverse of N_e, they arrive at the expression involving e^y. This type of approximation is commonly used in mathematical analysis to approximate functions that are difficult to solve analytically. In summary, the authors use an asymptotic expansion to approximate the equation (4.31) involving the number of "e-foldings" (N_e). This results in an expression involving e^y, which is commonly used in mathematical analysis to approximate functions that are difficult to solve analytically. The
Ryuzaki
In a paper that I'm reading, the authors write:-

[itex]N_e \approx \frac{3}{4} (e^{-y}+y)-1.04[/itex] ------------ [itex](4.31)[/itex]

Now, an analytic approximation can be obtained by using the expansion with respect to the inverse number of "e-foldings" ([itex]N_e[/itex] is the number of "e-foldings"). For instance, eq. [itex](4.31)[/itex] yields:-

[itex]e^y = \dfrac{3}{4N_e} - \dfrac{9ln(N_e)}{16(N_e)^2} -\dfrac{0.94}{(N_e)^2} + O(\dfrac{ln^2(N_e)}{(N_e)^3})[/itex]

Can anyone tell me how this approximation is done? I'm not familiar with the $O$ notation either. What does it mean? How do the authors arrive at that expression?

If anyone should require it, the original paper can be found here: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1001.5118.pdf?origin=publication_detail

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ryuzaki said:
In a paper that I'm reading, the authors write:-

[itex]N_e \approx \frac{3}{4} (e^{-y}+y)-1.04[/itex] ------------ [itex](4.31)[/itex]

Now, an analytic approximation can be obtained by using the expansion with respect to the inverse number of "e-foldings" ([itex]N_e[/itex] is the number of "e-foldings"). For instance, eq. [itex](4.31)[/itex] yields:-

[itex]e^y = \dfrac{3}{4N_e} - \dfrac{9ln(N_e)}{16(N_e)^2} -\dfrac{0.94}{(N_e)^2} + O(\dfrac{ln^2(N_e)}{(N_e)^3})[/itex]

Can anyone tell me how this approximation is done?

It's an asymptotic expansion. Finding these is more of an art than a science. Hinch is a good introduction.

I'm not familiar with the $O$ notation either. What does it mean?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_O_notation.

What is an approximation?

An approximation is a value or estimate that is close to the true value but not exact. It is often used when the exact value is difficult or impossible to calculate.

Why is approximation important in science?

Approximation is important in science because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions even when we do not have all the exact information. It also allows us to simplify complex calculations and models.

How is approximation used in data analysis?

Approximation is often used in data analysis to make sense of large amounts of data and to find patterns and trends. It can also be used to fill in missing data points or to smooth out noisy data.

What are the limitations of approximation?

The main limitation of approximation is that it is not exact and can introduce errors into calculations and models. It is important to understand the level of accuracy and uncertainty associated with an approximation and to use it appropriately.

How can I improve my understanding of approximation?

To improve your understanding of approximation, it is helpful to practice using it in different contexts and to compare different types of approximations to see their strengths and weaknesses. It is also important to have a solid understanding of the underlying concepts and principles involved.