Brownian Motion: Questions and Answers

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of Brownian motion and its effects on particles in a container of water. The first question pertains to the impact of light on the movement of these particles, with the conclusion that light does provide extra energy and may cause slight increases in speed. The second question addresses the potential difference in effects based on positive or negative charges of the particles, with the conclusion that charge does not significantly impact the phenomenon. The third question brings up the concept of chaos theory and its application to Brownian motion, with the conclusion that it is not applicable as Brownian motion is based on probability rather than determinism.
thirdwind
Hi all. My teacher briefly mentioned brownian motion a few days ago but didn't really go in depth. I am planning to do my final paper on this topic and I just have a few questions. Hopefully, someone can point me in the right direction.

1. Let's suppose I have a container of water and some small particles in it. If I understood my teacher right, the the particles exhibit brownian motion due to thermal interaction with the water. What would happen if I were to shine a light on that container for a little while and then measure their movement? My guess is that the particles will move slightly faster when exposed in light because of the extra energy the light provides. Is my line of thinking somewhat correct?

2. What if the particles were positively/negatively charged? Would shining light have different effects depending on charge? My guess is that the charge of the particle does not matter.

3. Last, I'm not sure if chaos theory can be applied here. Is chaos at a molecular level very different from, say, the Lorenz equations?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have a good handle on the phenomenon- your thinking in #1 is spot on correct, #2 is generally correct-adding energy to the water will usually not cause any measurable difference (exteme examples to the contrary), but having charged solutes in water is different than uncharged solutes in water.

#3 is off base. Chaos applies for deterministic systems, not stochastic systems; the mathematical basis for diffusion (Brownian motion) is rooted in probability.

Thanks Andy. I will look into stochastic systems a little more.

What is Brownian Motion?

Brownian Motion is the random movement of particles suspended in a fluid, caused by collisions with the molecules of the fluid.

Who discovered Brownian Motion?

Brownian Motion was first observed by Scottish botanist Robert Brown in 1827, while studying pollen particles under a microscope.

What is the significance of Brownian Motion?

Brownian Motion is significant because it provided evidence for the existence of atoms and molecules, which were previously thought to be just theoretical concepts.

What factors affect the speed of Brownian Motion?

The speed of Brownian Motion is affected by the size of the particles, the temperature of the fluid, and the viscosity of the fluid.

How is Brownian Motion used in scientific research?

Brownian Motion is used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology, to study the behavior of particles and molecules on a microscopic level. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as drug delivery systems and nanotechnology.