Nth Derivative Induction Proof

In summary, proof by induction is a method used to prove statements for all integers, by first showing it is true for a simple case, and then assuming it is true for a given value and proving it for the next value. An example of proving an nth derivative using induction is shown, where the 2nth derivative of f(x) = cos(x) sin(x) is shown to be (-4)n cos(x) sin(x).
Sam223344
Hey
I have this problem on proof by induction that I'm struggling to do.

The problem is to prove the nth derivative of f(x)=1/(sqrt(1-4x))

I have worked out that the nth derivative is f^(n)(x)=(2n)!/n! * (1-4*x)^(-(n+1/2))

But I'm not sure how to go about completing this. My lecturer only covered induction briefly and my textbook doesn't cover it either... Also I have only done basic sequence proofs so any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, when you have some statement like "for all n, X is true", a proof by induction consists of two steps. First, you have to show that for some simple case (usually n = 0 or 1, depending on the question), X is true. Then you assume that X is true for all integers n up to some given value n0, and you prove that under that assumption, X is also true for n0 + 1.

The reasoning is then as follows: you have checked by hand that it is true for n = 1. You have proven that if it is true for n0 = 1 (which it is), then it is true for n = n0 + 1 = 2. So it is true for n = 2. Also, you have shown that if it is true for n = 2, it is true for n = 3. Since it is true for n = 2, it holds for n = 3. Similarly, it is true for n = 4, and for n = 5, and so on.

Now let's apply this to the proof you have. So your claim is that for [itex]f(x) = 1/\sqrt{1 - 4x}[/itex], the nth derivative is given by
[tex]f^{(n)}(x) = \frac{(2n}!}{n!} (1 - 4x)^{-(n + \tfrac12)} \qquad\qquad (*)[/tex]

So first, you check that (*) holds when n = 1 (and you might want to check n = 0 as well, just to be complete) and find that it works.
Now assume that (*) is true, and show that it holds for n + 1. That is: derive (*) with respect to x, and show that you get the same expression as you'd get when plugging in n + 1 instead of n in (*).

PS Note that proof by induction is a convenient way (once you are used to it) to prove such statements "for all n", but it doesn't help you to find the statement. So if instead of "prove that the nth derivative is ...formula..." you get "derive and prove a formula for the nth derivative", you will first need to come up with a hypothesis by some other way. Once you have the hypothesis, you can make it into a theorem and try to prove it by induction.

I'm still a bit fuzzy on how to go about this induction. Could someone do an example of proving an nth derivative(something of similar difficulty) by induction so I can get a better understanding of my problem.

Or even post a link to where i could find some examples.

Thanks

I don't know if it is of similar difficulty, but here is one example:

The 2nth derivative of f(x) = cos(x) sin(x) is given by (-4)n cos(x) sin(x).

Actually this is easy to show once you see that f(x) = 1/2 sin(2x), but for instructive purposes let's do it by induction.

Proof.
First we check the base case. For n = 0 it is true, but then again, this is not really a derivative. So let's take n = 1. We need to show that the second derivative of f(x) is -4 cos(x) sin(x). We apply the product rule:
f(1)(x) = cos(x)2 - sin(x)2.
Then by the chain rule (or product rule, whichever you prefer):
f(2)(x) = - 2 cos(x) sin(x) - 2 sin(x) cos(x) = - 4 cos(x) sin(x).

So the base case is checked. Now we pose the induction hypothesis, namely:
(IH:) Suppose that for all n checked so far, f(2n)(x) = (-4)n cos(x) sin(x).

We must prove that the identity is true for n + 1. So let's differentiate f(x) (2n + 1) times. That is, let's differentiate f(2n)(x) twice. By the induction hypothesis,
f(2n)(x) = (-4)n cos(x) sin(x).
Using the product rule,
f(2n + 1)(x) = (-4)n cos(x)2 + (-4)n sin(x)2.
And differentiating again,
f(2n + 2)(x) = f(2(n + 1))(x) = (-4)n * (-2) cos(x) sin(x) + (-4)n * (-2) sin(x) cos(x) = (-4)n * (-4) cos(x) sin(x) = (-4)n + 1 cos(x) sin(x).

This concludes the proof (now explain to yourself / us, why).

Thanks mate this should help me out a lot.

What is the Nth derivative induction proof?

The Nth derivative induction proof is a mathematical method used to prove a statement for all natural numbers. It involves first proving the statement for the base case, usually n=1, and then assuming it holds for some arbitrary value of n, and using this assumption to prove that it also holds for n+1. This process is repeated until the statement is proven for all natural numbers.

How is the Nth derivative induction proof different from regular mathematical induction?

The Nth derivative induction proof is a variation of regular mathematical induction. While regular induction involves proving a statement for all natural numbers using a base case and an inductive step, the Nth derivative induction proof involves using derivatives to prove the statement for all natural numbers. It is typically used when the statement involves derivatives or involves a function that can be differentiated multiple times.

What are the advantages of using the Nth derivative induction proof?

The Nth derivative induction proof can be useful when dealing with statements involving derivatives or functions that can be differentiated multiple times. It can also provide a more elegant and concise proof compared to regular mathematical induction in certain cases. Additionally, it can be used to prove statements involving inequalities, whereas regular induction is limited to proving statements involving equality.

What are the limitations of the Nth derivative induction proof?

The Nth derivative induction proof can only be used to prove statements for natural numbers. It cannot be used for integers, rational numbers, or real numbers. Additionally, it requires a good understanding of derivatives and their properties, which may make it more challenging for some individuals to grasp and apply.

What are some real-life applications of the Nth derivative induction proof?

The Nth derivative induction proof is commonly used in the fields of mathematics and physics to prove statements involving derivatives, such as the Taylor series expansion. It can also be applied in engineering and economics to model and analyze systems that involve multiple derivatives. In addition, it has applications in computer science and data analysis, where it is used to identify patterns and make predictions based on data points.