Job growth in engineering management without PhD?

In summary, the conversation discusses the value of a PhD in engineering management and potential career paths for someone with an MS and experience in R&D. The speaker suggests that a PhD may not be necessary for success in this field and advises against pursuing it solely for career purposes. They also mention that titles and status symbols may hold more weight in some companies than others. Ultimately, the focus should be on developing skills and making oneself valuable to the company.
iLIKEstuff
So I recently took a job in R&D right out of my Master's program (in electrical engineering). When I was interviewing at the company, I quickly realized that everyone was "Dr. so-and-so". I actually did not interview with a single person that did not have a PhD out of 8 people (except for the HR person).

Now I realize that someone with an MS can eventually become an engineering manager after many years of experience, but surely 3-4 years of experience with an MS will not offset a PhD, especially once this person has worked for 10+ years, i.e., MS + 14 years experience [tex]\neq[/tex] PhD + 10 years experience, in terms of job growth.

So if my plan is to get into engineering management, because they make lots of money, should I have stayed for my PhD?

What are some other career paths for an MS with experience in R&D, which also make lots of money?

and how tough is it to get an engineering management position without a PhD?

Thanks for your thoughts.

A similar question was asked about a year ago, but was not followed up: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=391138

Physics news on Phys.org
My experience, with a couple of decades experience in the electrical engineering industry, is that most engineering managers do not have a PhD. I don't think the lack of a PhD will hurt you in industry, and in fact, getting into the work environment more quickly will definitely help your career. Don't worry about it - make yourself valuable to the company as quickly as you can and you will probably be rewarded.

iLIKEstuff said:
Now I realize that someone with an MS can eventually become an engineering manager after many years of experience, but surely 3-4 years of experience with an MS will not offset a PhD, especially once this person has worked for 10+ years, i.e., MS + 14 years experience [tex]\neq[/tex] PhD + 10 years experience, in terms of job growth.

This is very, very company dependent.

So if my plan is to get into engineering management, because they make lots of money, should I have stayed for my PhD?

Don't ever get a Ph.D. for purely career reasons, it isn't worth it.

Engineering managers may or may not make lots of money. I've known some high tech companies in which the managers make less money than the people that they manage.

Apparently, you are in a company where people have a high regard for status symbols.

In the (large multinational) company I work for, titles like "Dr" are explicitly prohibited on all internal documents, name tags, office doors, etc. What matters is what you can do, not what bits of paper you have collected.

(Well, that's true except in the German offices, where people who have sat at adjacent desks for 20 years still call each other "Herr Dr. Ing. X" rather than "Hans" or "Klaus".)

I would say that while a PhD certainly opens up more opportunities in the field of engineering management, it is not a requirement for success in this role. Many successful engineering managers have a Master's degree and years of experience in the industry.

In terms of job growth, it is important to remember that a PhD is not the only factor that contributes to career advancement. Experience, skills, and leadership abilities are also crucial in climbing the ladder in engineering management. While a PhD may give someone an initial advantage, it is not a guarantee of success or job growth in the long term.

There are definitely other career paths for someone with an MS and experience in R&D. Some options could include technical project management, product management, or even starting your own company. These roles may also offer opportunities for career growth and higher salaries.

In terms of getting an engineering management position without a PhD, it may be more challenging but not impossible. It may require networking, showcasing your skills and experience, and continuously seeking out new opportunities. Additionally, gaining certifications or taking courses in management and leadership may also help in demonstrating your qualifications for the role.

Overall, while a PhD may offer some advantages in the field of engineering management, it is not the only path to success. With dedication, hard work, and continuous learning, there are many opportunities for career growth and success in this field without a PhD.

Related to Job growth in engineering management without PhD?

1. How much job growth can I expect in engineering management without a PhD?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job growth for engineering managers without a PhD is expected to grow at a rate of 3% from 2019-2029. This is considered slower than the average job growth for all occupations.

2. What industries have the most job opportunities for engineering managers without a PhD?

The industries with the highest employment levels for engineering managers without a PhD are architectural and engineering services, manufacturing, and management of companies and enterprises. However, job opportunities may vary depending on location and specific job market demands.

3. Is it possible to advance in my career without a PhD in engineering management?

Yes, it is possible to advance in your career without a PhD in engineering management. Many engineering managers without a PhD have advanced to higher positions through their experience, skills, and leadership qualities. It is important to continue learning and developing your skills to stay competitive in the job market.

4. Are there any alternative degrees or certifications that can help with job growth in engineering management?

Yes, there are alternative degrees and certifications that can help with job growth in engineering management. Some options include a Master's degree in engineering management, a graduate certificate in project management, or a professional engineering (PE) license. These can enhance your skills and knowledge in the field and make you a more competitive candidate for job opportunities.

5. What skills and qualifications are most desirable for engineering management positions without a PhD?

Some of the most desirable skills and qualifications for engineering management positions without a PhD include strong leadership abilities, project management experience, technical knowledge and expertise, and excellent communication and problem-solving skills. Additionally, having a strong understanding of business and financial principles can also be beneficial for these roles.