Are vectors assumed to be with respect to a standard basis?

In summary: Thanks for the input!In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of vectors and their representation with respect to different basis sets. It is stated that a vector exists independent of any basis and can be represented in coordinate form relative to a chosen basis. The difference between coordinates and components is also mentioned.
chipotleaway
For example, if were given only a vector <5, 3, 1>, is this assumed to be respect with the standard basis of R^3?

And would this mean that any nonstandard basis is with respect to a standard basis?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are free to expand a vector against any basis set you like.
For your example, any set of three vectors that form a basis for R^3 is fine.

There is a standard representation though - from the rules for vector spaces.

The vector (5,3,1) is defined without reference to any basis at all. R3 is lists of three real numbers, and (5,3,1) is a list of three real numbers. It turns out that this is a vector space and that it has a basis for which (5,3,1) = 5e1 + 3e2 + 1e3 but that's totally incidental to the definition of (5,3,1)

Likes 1 person
So (5,3,1) with no reference to a basis is NOT a vector? And the lists of R^3 happen to be vectors because R^3 satisfy the properties of a vector space?

There's no definition of what is/isn't a vector. There's a definition of a vector space, and given a vector space we call its elements "vectors".

It's exactly as Office_Shredder put it:
- We define the set [itex]\mathbb R^3[/itex] as the set of ordered triples of real numbers.
- For any real number [itex]c \in \mathbb R[/itex] and any ordered triple [itex]x\in \mathbb R^3[/itex], we define what we mean by [itex]cx \in \mathbb R^3[/itex].
- For any two ordered triples [itex]x,y\in \mathbb R^3[/itex], we define what we mean by [itex]x+y \in \mathbb R^3[/itex].
Then it turns out that these things together satisfies what we call a vector space.

All of this makes sense without needing to define the word "vector".

A vector exists independent of any basis you choose to represent it in. If ##V## is a vector space then ##v\in V## is a vector, that's all. You can choose a basis ##(e_i)## for ##V## and represent ##v## as ##v = \sum v_i e_i## and further express ##v## relative to this basis in coordinate form ##[v]_{(e_i)} = (x_1,...,x_n)## by passing over to ##K^n## where ##K## is the field that ##V## is over.

Likes 1 person
I'm wondering if this question is more about notation than basis sets.

if ##\small \{\vec{u},\vec{v},\vec{w}\}## is an arbitrary basis for ##\small \mathbb{R}^3##, then is ## \small <x,y,z>=x\vec{u}+y\vec{v}+z\vec{w}## ?

I don't know if I'm putting this well.

If you see <5,3,1> written down, with no other information but that it is a vector, it is safe to expand it as 5<1,0,0>+3<0,1,0>+<0,0,1>.

Another basis, written in terms of the standard one, may be {<1,1,0>,<1,-1,0>,<0,0,1>} ... we would not expect <5,3,1> to mean 5<1,1,0>+3<1,-1,0>+<0,0,1> unless we are told that it does.

However, three numbers written like that could be a list of data, or a spherical-polar position, or just a row of text characters - depending on context. If <5,3,1> is the only thing on the page, you have no information.

Does that answer the question?

For a bit of context, this arised from an example in Anton's linear algebra text; in the first part he showed how to find the coordinate vector of a given vector (I'm going to call it <5, 3, 1>) in terms of a given nonstandard basis S.
Next part, find a vector in R^3 whose coordinate vector with respect to S is <3, 2, 4>.

So a list of numbers in R^3, (5, 3, 1) exists independent of a basis but happens to have that same representation with respect to the standard basis of R^3 (and also happens to be a vector?)

chipotleaway said:
So a list of numbers in R^3, (5, 3, 1) exists independent of a basis but happens to have that same representation with respect to the standard basis of R^3 (and also happens to be a vector?)

This is correct.

Likes 1 person
Yep - I wondered if this could have been the motivation of the question.

1. What is a standard basis in vector space?

A standard basis in vector space is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire vector space, and can be used to represent any other vector in that space through linear combinations.

2. How are vectors assumed to be with respect to a standard basis?

Vectors are assumed to be with respect to a standard basis when they are expressed as linear combinations of the basis vectors. This means that the coefficients of the basis vectors represent the coordinates of the vector in that basis.

3. What is the significance of using a standard basis in vector space?

Using a standard basis in vector space allows for a consistent and efficient way to represent vectors and perform operations on them. It also simplifies calculations and comparisons between different vectors in the same space.

4. Can vectors be represented using non-standard bases?

Yes, vectors can be represented using non-standard bases. In fact, any set of linearly independent vectors can serve as a basis for a vector space, but using a standard basis makes calculations and comparisons easier.

5. How do you convert a vector from a non-standard basis to a standard basis?

To convert a vector from a non-standard basis to a standard basis, you can use the change of basis formula. This involves finding the matrix that represents the non-standard basis vectors in terms of the standard basis vectors, and then multiplying it by the vector in the non-standard basis.