Finding Exact Trig Values for All Angles

• Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of trigonometric values for special angles and the possibility of finding the values for more obscure angles. It is mentioned that with complex numbers, the values for 15o and 75o could be found using a different method. However, finding values for angles that are not multiples of 15o seems to be a challenge and the conversation delves into the limitations of using certain tools and methods to find these values. It is ultimately concluded that while it is possible to compute the values for any angle, it may require a lot of work and the use of complex polynomials, and not all values can be expressed exactly in terms of radicals.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
Most would have memorized the exact trigonometric values for those special angles (30o,45o,60o), but these angles are only special due to the convenience of the geometry of the isosceles triangle. If I were asked to find the value of, say, cos30o without use of these triangles, I would be out of luck doing so.
With some study in complex numbers, our class was able to find the trig values for 15o and 75o by a method other than sin(A+B) ~ cos(A+B).
So now we know all the trig values for angles that are multiples of 15o, which I see as being a large restriction.

Eventually, by some unconventional way using complex polynomials, we found the trig values to 50o. This was a great breakthrough for us, but it is seemingly impossible to try and apply the same method to find other obscure angles.

Is it possible to endeavour in finding the trig values (mostly sine and cosine) for any angles?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
let t stand for the computation of any trig function
I use radians
What is t(5pi/18)?
You know t(pi/12)
the other main easy one is t(pi/10)
with the difference formula one then know how to handle t(pi/60) and also all multiples of pi/60
t(pi/2^n) n=1,2,3,... is trivial by repeated use of half angle formula
it is a trivial fact that t(r*pi) is algebraic when r is rational
thus we can compute t when we can solve the polynomial
if we can solve cubics we know t(x/3) when we know t(x)
now comes the question of which polynomails we can solve, which depends on which tools we can use
we can use Galois theory to know how powerful particular tools are
classically we restrict our tools to solution by radical ie /*-+ and roots
thus we cannot solve the general quintic though we can reduce to
x^5+ax+b=0 so if we can solve that (bring radical) we can solve the quintic
on the other hand if we do not allow complex numbers we cannot do t(pi/9) or t(pi/180)
it is a matter of which functions we allow in our expansion and a question of what we want to do with our exact expressions

Also we do not need triangles we can compute with algebra, though one could argue that they are the same in some sense or that triangles give more insight.
right angles help
pi/2=pi/4+pi/4
pi/2=pi/12+5pi/6
pi/2=pi/6+pi/3
pi/2=pi/2+pi/2
pi/2=pi/10+2pi/5
pi/2=pi/5+3pi/10
pi/2=pi/2+0

The simple answer is that with geometry we can compute every angle's cosine and sine, the work is messy, but it's possible.

If you mean "exact" values in terms of radicals, no that is not true. We can, with a lot of work, find exact values for rational multiples of [itex]\pi[/itex] but not for irrational multiples.

The proof of this is in algebra correct, Halls?

Can you prove this within the framework of euclidean geometry?

lurflurf said:
it is a trivial fact that t(r*pi) is algebraic when r is rational
thus we can compute t when we can solve the polynomial
if we can solve cubics we know t(x/3) when we know t(x)
now comes the question of which polynomails we can solve, which depends on which tools we can use
So we are now restricted to which polynomials we can solve with Galois' theorem. Rather than taking any real polynomial and expressing its roots in terms of trigonometric values...

HallsofIvy said:
If you mean "exact" values in terms of radicals, no that is not true. We can, with a lot of work, find exact values for rational multiples of [itex]\pi[/itex] but not for irrational multiples.
Yes in terms of radicals. Does this include all rational multiples of [itex]\pi[/itex] or only a select few which is what I have been able to find so far on the net? I would like to know what this hard work involves (of course I don't expect these values to handed out on a platter).

loop quantum gravity said:
The simple answer is that with geometry we can compute every angle's cosine and sine, the work is messy, but it's possible.
Hopefully it can also be done with algebra? :biggrin:

It is possible to find an exact expression, in radicals, for the sine of 1 degree.

Not every rational multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex] can be worked out, because the degree of the polynomial equation becomes too high.

You might be interested in this wikipedia article on constructing polygons which is reduced to computing the exact value of [itex]\cos{\frac{2 \pi}{n}}[/itex] to construct an n-gon.

http://www.mathpages.com/HOME/kmath186.htm

more

https://nrich.maths.org/discus/messages/117730/144228.html?1214753730

The nice link of qntty's show we need the denominator of the form
n=2^i*3^j*5^k*17^l*257^m*65537^n
where i=0,1,2,...
j,k,l,m,n=0,1
to use only square roots
if higher roots are allowed we can handle all r*pi when r is rational
ie
2pi/9=2pi/3^2
or
2pi/360=2pi/(2^3*3^2*5)

in particular and unhelpfully
cos(r*pi/n)+i*sin(m*pi/n)=(-1)^r
cos(r*pi/n)=Re{(-1)^r}
sin(r*pi)=Im{(-1)^r}

since (-1)^r=exp(r*log(-1))=exp(r*pi*i)

of course most people would not consider that satisfatory and would proceed to do horrible algebra until the answer looked impressive

Mentallic said:
So we are now restricted to which polynomials we can solve with Galois' theorem. Rather than taking any real polynomial and expressing its roots in terms of trigonometric values...

Yes in terms of radicals. Does this include all rational multiples of [itex]\pi[/itex] or only a select few which is what I have been able to find so far on the net? I would like to know what this hard work involves (of course I don't expect these values to handed out on a platter).

Hopefully it can also be done with algebra? :biggrin:
You hint at the inverse problem of finding the polinomials that can be solved with trig.
If I recall correctly a real cubic with positive discriminant has 3 real roots and can be solved with cosine ie
x^3+px+q=0 has solutions
2sqrt(-p/3)cos(t-2pi/3)
2sqrt(-p/3)cos(t)
2sqrt(-p/3)cos(t+2pi/3)
where t=(1/3)arccos(.5q(-3/p)^-1.5)

The hard work involves tedious algebra

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you lurflurf, that cleared up a lot. I especially like the fact that the cosines correspond exactly with the cubics we solved :smile:
lurflurf said:
<snip>
can be solved with cosine ie
x^3+px+q=0 has solutions
2sqrt(-p/3)cos(t-2pi/3)
2sqrt(-p/3)cos(t)
2sqrt(-p/3)cos(t+2pi/3)
where t=(1/3)arccos(.5q(-3/p)^-1.5)

Ben Niehoff, I was curious what you meant by:
Ben Niehoff said:
Not every rational multiple of can be worked out, because the degree of the polynomial equation becomes too high.
and luckily enough, one of the links presented in this topic explain what you meant by it. While very small, rational angles, less than a degree even have exact values, some of the larger angles don't.

1. How do you find the exact trigonometric values of all angles?

To find the exact trigonometric values of all angles, you can use the unit circle method or the reference angle method. The unit circle method involves plotting the angle on a unit circle and using the coordinates of the point where the angle intersects the circle to find the trigonometric values. The reference angle method involves finding the reference angle, which is the acute angle between the terminal side of the given angle and the x-axis, and then using the trigonometric identities to find the values.

2. What are the six trigonometric functions?

The six trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant. These functions are used to calculate the ratios of the side lengths of a right triangle.

3. Can you find exact trigonometric values for all angles?

Yes, using the unit circle method or the reference angle method, you can find the exact values for all angles. However, some values may be irrational or involve complex numbers.

4. What are the common mistakes when finding exact trigonometric values?

Some common mistakes when finding exact trigonometric values include forgetting to use the correct unit for angles (radians or degrees), forgetting to account for the quadrant of the angle, and making errors in applying the trigonometric identities.

5. Can you use a calculator to find exact trigonometric values?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a button for calculating the trigonometric values of an angle. However, it is important to make sure the calculator is set to the correct mode (degrees or radians) and to use the correct input format (decimal or fraction) to get the exact values.