Finding the Moles and Concentration

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the concentration of HSO3- in a solution of NaHSO3. The correct calculation for the mole of the solution is 6.0g/104.06191 due to the two liters of solution. The concentration of HSO3- can be calculated using the equation C=N/V, with a resulting value of 0.05769.
firebirds0707

Homework Statement

Hello,

1. I just have a simple question to ask and I just want to confirm my answer.

The teacher gave us a solution of NaHSO3. The data given with is were 12.0g/2.0 L.

When finding the mole of the solution:

n=12.0g
/104.06191 or is it 6.0g/104.06191 because of the two litre?

2. Finding the C of HSO3-

When doing standardization of KMnO4 solution, I obtained 10mL of NaHSO3 and added 10mL of 3M solution of H2SO4 to acidify it.

Does this have anything to do with finding the concentration of HSO3-?

Like can I just find the C of HSO3- using this:

C=N/V

(12.g/104.061914)/2.0L = 0.05769?

Thank You

The balanced equation that I found was 2MnO4- + 5HSO3- + H+ -> 2Mn2+ + 5SO4-2 + 3H2O

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

n=12.0g
/104.06191 or is it 6.0g/104.06191 because of the two litre?

C of HSO3- = (12.g/104.061914)/2.0L = 0.05769?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Answer: Yes, the answer is 6.0g/104.06191 because there are two liters of the solution. The concentration of HSO3- can be calculated using the given equation, C=N/V. The answer would be 0.05769.

What is a mole and how is it related to concentration?

A mole is a unit of measurement used in chemistry to quantify the amount of a substance. It is related to concentration because it is used to determine the amount of a substance that is present in a given volume of a solution.

How do you calculate the number of moles?

To calculate the number of moles, you divide the mass of a substance by its molar mass. This can be represented by the formula: moles = mass (g) / molar mass (g/mol).

What is molar concentration?

Molar concentration, also known as molarity, is a measure of the concentration of a substance in a solution. It is defined as the number of moles of a substance per liter of solution.

How do you calculate molar concentration?

To calculate molar concentration, you divide the number of moles by the volume of the solution in liters. This can be represented by the formula: molarity (M) = moles (mol) / volume (L).

What is the relationship between moles, concentration, and volume?

The relationship between moles, concentration, and volume can be represented by the formula: moles = concentration (M) x volume (L). This means that the number of moles of a substance is equal to the molar concentration multiplied by the volume of the solution.