Can Arctic Methane Be Exploited to Mitigate Climate Change?

In summary, Arctic methane can potentially be exploited as a way to mitigate climate change. This is because methane, a potent greenhouse gas, is trapped in the Arctic permafrost and in methane hydrates on the ocean floor. By extracting and using this methane as a source of energy, it can reduce the amount of methane released into the atmosphere and slow the rate of global warming. However, there are concerns about the environmental impacts and risks associated with this method of exploitation, as well as the need for further research and development before it can be considered a viable solution.
jschmidt
I'm not sure if this is the best topical forum to put this question or not, but it seemed the most likely of the forums on pf.com. Anyhow, sorry if this is not in the right place.

I've been hearing over the last year or two that climate scientists are very worried about very large releases of methane from the arctic - I don't know if it's released from the tundra, or the ice caps, or the seabeds or something, but apparently there is concern that as the Earth warms, a huge amount of methane will be 'belched up' by the geography of the arctic, which will cause further warming.

So, my question is, would it be impossible to exploit this huge reserve of methane? Is there no way to extract it *before* it's released by global warming? If not, would it be possible to capture it *as* it's released (I'm not sure how - I'm picturing something along the lines of giant domes made up of some thin, cheap plastic film which just trap the gas as it escapes, and funnels it into pipes or hoses for further processing [purification, liquification, etc])?

If there's really that much methane, seems like it would be worth Billions of dollars, at least, on the world energy markets? Sure, burning it would produce CO2, but isn't CO2 less of a warming agent than Methane?

Engineering news on Phys.org
jschmidt said:
I'm not sure if this is the best topical forum to put this question or not, but it seemed the most likely of the forums on pf.com. Anyhow, sorry if this is not in the right place.

I've been hearing over the last year or two that climate scientists are very worried about very large releases of methane from the arctic - I don't know if it's released from the tundra, or the ice caps, or the seabeds or something, but apparently there is concern that as the Earth warms, a huge amount of methane will be 'belched up' by the geography of the arctic, which will cause further warming.

So, my question is, would it be impossible to exploit this huge reserve of methane? Is there no way to extract it *before* it's released by global warming? If not, would it be possible to capture it *as* it's released (I'm not sure how - I'm picturing something along the lines of giant domes made up of some thin, cheap plastic film which just trap the gas as it escapes, and funnels it into pipes or hoses for further processing [purification, liquification, etc])?

If there's really that much methane, seems like it would be worth Billions of dollars, at least, on the world energy markets? Sure, burning it would produce CO2, but isn't CO2 less of a warming agent than Methane?

Can you provide a link to a scientific source of this information? That would be of help in answering your question.

There are two primary methods for release of methane. One is the release of subsea methane hydrate, which can be very rapid. Another is the slow release of methane from anaerobic rotting of previously-frozen organic materials in warming tundra. The first may be the most problematic, but I have not heard of any plans to tap that gas.

Here's an article on the subsea methane hydrates.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100304142240.htm

1. What is Arctic Methane and why is it important?

Arctic Methane refers to methane gas that is trapped in permafrost and under the Arctic Ocean. It is important because it is a potent greenhouse gas that contributes to global warming and climate change.

2. How is Arctic Methane released into the atmosphere?

Arctic Methane can be released into the atmosphere through natural processes such as thawing permafrost, or through human activities such as oil and gas drilling and extraction. It can also be released through wildfires and melting sea ice.

3. What are the potential consequences of exploiting Arctic Methane?

The potential consequences of exploiting Arctic Methane include exacerbating global warming and climate change, destabilizing ecosystems in the Arctic, and potentially causing positive feedback loops that lead to even more methane release. It can also have negative impacts on local communities and indigenous peoples who depend on the Arctic environment for their livelihoods.

4. Are there any benefits to exploiting Arctic Methane?

Some argue that exploiting Arctic Methane could provide a new source of energy and potentially reduce dependence on fossil fuels. However, the potential negative consequences outweigh any potential benefits.

5. What can be done to prevent the release of Arctic Methane?

To prevent the release of Arctic Methane, we must reduce our greenhouse gas emissions and work towards mitigating the effects of climate change. This includes transitioning to renewable energy sources and implementing sustainable practices. Additionally, protecting and preserving the Arctic environment is crucial in preventing further methane release.