Education/Degree added to posted profiles

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
rhody
Gold Member
I noticed that my profile changed to add the education/degree below the user's name, is this partially because of the "https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=514189"" thread here ?

I think Zz's https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3404598&postcount=4" was right on. As one suggestion leads to another, I would like to suggest his explanation should be required reading once before a newbie is allowed to post in a technical forum for the first time.

This would save untold amount of frustration by the OP and the folks who work in the field in filtering and then responding to the OP's questions in an appropriate way. The cat and mouse game could be improved substantially, don't you think ?

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Agreed (given a bit of editing)! Like a mandatory FAQ/policy

Not sure if making it mandatory would be good, it would scare some people off perhaps. Furthermore, I don't think many people would even read it.

What I do agree on, is to make the post (edited a bit) an FAQ entry so that we could refer to it all the time. That is, if somebody posts something incomprehensible or something requiring a lot of background information, then the answerers could post a link to the entry so that they could read it.

What is confusing is there is a single entry for "degree you have" and "degree you are working on". These are usually different. :smile:

Congratulations for improving the system. I have been to the mentioned thread before and I am really impressed how quickly the reforms have been made. However this was to be expected of PF.

micromass said:
Not sure if making it mandatory would be good, it would scare some people off perhaps.

I agree with you. I'm not going to put down my education and degrees. :smile:
Every science forum where I've been on doesn't require it.

Last edited by a moderator:
ViewsofMars said:
I agree with you. I'm not going to put down my education and degrees. :smile:
Every science forum where I've been on doesn't require it.
We don't require it, it was just done in response to a question about how a layman can get a response in layman's terms. I don't think adding what your degree is in solves the issue. We have brilliant high school students here. We have people that might have gotten a certain degree 40 years ago, but they're specialty is in an entirely different field now.

I hope you understand why I deleted your link to the ID site. I know your intent was to show how *credentials* don't mean you're not a crackpot, but we don't allow links to such sites.

Thanks Evo.:smile: I think you perfectly understood where I was coming from.:wink: I'm sick of the ID folk.

Evo said:
We don't require it, it was just done in response to a question about how a layman can get a response in layman's terms. I don't think adding what your degree is in solves the issue. We have brilliant high school students here. We have people that might have gotten a certain degree 40 years ago, but they're specialty is in an entirely different field now.

I hope you understand why I deleted your link to the ID site. I know your intent was to show how *credentials* don't mean you're not a crackpot, but we don't allow links to such sites.

You have a point, Evo. Showing the degree doesn't solve everything 100%, but it helps a great deal. It doesn't matter how brilliant a high school student is, he will still not understand quantum mechanics on a high level (and if he does, we certainly recognize this from the question).

The thing I'm a bit worried about is the attitude "ow, he doesn't have a PhD in physics, so he isn't believable" This is of course nonsense, but I fear a bit that people will start thinking like that.

I would prefer we go back to "what is your level of understanding", so much better than making assumptions.

Evo said:
I would prefer we go back to "what is your level of understanding", so much better than making assumptions.

Thinking some more about it, I changed my mind. I agree with you. Degree can be misleading, and any crackpot can fill in "PhD".

Maybe there is a good systematic way of seeing what level on understanding somebody has, but this is probably not it :frown:

It's the quality of the posts that matters, not the education level, in my opinion.

Last edited:
micromass said:
Thinking some more about it, I changed my mind. I agree with you. Degree can be misleading, and any crackpot can fill in "PhD".

Maybe there is a good systematic way of seeing what level on understanding somebody has, but this is probably not it :frown:

It's the quality of the posts that matters, not the education level, in my opinion.
MM, VoM,

If someone posted a degree they didn't have and unless they they are extremely smart to keep the charade going, they would quickly be sniffed out, embarrassed, and vetted by this crowd. I have no doubt whatsoever in that regard. If you feel uncomfortable posting your credentials, just remove them, pure and simple as that. I can only imagine it won't be long before people begin putting in absurd things for the two categories as well, just for a laugh, or as a form of protest.

Rhody... :smile:

rhody said:
MM, VoM,

If someone posted a degree they didn't have and unless they they are extremely smart to keep the charade going, they would quickly be sniffed out, embarrassed, and vetted by this crowd. I have no doubt whatsoever in that regard. If you feel uncomfortable posting your credentials, just remove them, pure and simple as that. I can only imagine it won't be long before people begin putting in absurd things for the two categories as well, just for a laugh, or as a form of protest.

Rhody... :smile:

I agree that we will have no troubles smoking the people out who lie about there degree :smile: But the problem is more complex than that. There are a few things that could happen: somebody posts a degree that he doesn't have: ok, we will easily find out, but in the meanwhile he can post some harmful things.
Or somebody knowledgeable doesn't have a degree: Hurkyl doesn't have a degree in mathematics, but he is more than qualified to answer peoples posts. Posting peoples degree kind of hits the believability of a person that's qualified.

Furthermore, there are some high-school students out there smarter than undergraduates. So they deserve an answer on an higher level. But if we start looking at the degrees, then this will not be the case.

The quality of the posts here should be considered. That's why the science advisor/homework helper programs are very good, because it only keeps track of posts here, nothing else.

I have a PhD in Physichemical radiobiological engineering science. I did 9 post docs, all at caltech, all simultaneously.

I am 21 years old.

Pengwuino said:
I have a PhD in Physichemical radiobiological engineering science. I did 9 post docs, all at caltech, all simultaneously.

I am 21 years old.

You won't be getting my vote for the humour award this year unless you have a degree.

Pengwuino said:

I am 21 years old.
Oh, don't mind that crazy pengy bird, BTW, peng-is-sauraus, how about some more copyright phrases of yours, you have me and Evo quoting you now, who could be next, Zz, or v_50 ? I doubt it, so keep trying, a little harder this time PLEASE ! MODS ! (Pengy-righted) Handle this troublemaker please... hehe...

Rhody... :tongue2:

Pengwuino said:

I am 21 years old.

You did 9 post-docs and you're still not a professor?? Wow, you're bad :rofl:

By the way, I just won the Fields medal and the Nobel price of mathematics (which is invented especially for me).

micromass said:
You did 9 post-docs and you're still not a professor?? Wow, you're bad :rofl:

Nope. Budget issues.

Evo said:

micromass said:

rhody said:
If someone posted a degree they didn't have and unless they they are extremely smart to keep the charade going, they would quickly be sniffed out, embarrassed, and vetted by this crowd.

Evo, micromass,

We can have our cake and eat it too. :wink:

When it comes to expressing my thoughts or assisting PF members,
I feel it gauche waving my diplomas on every post.
I liked our previous system where if members where curious,
they could read about such information in our profiles.
(for now, I'm not sure where I will note mine).

Last edited:
In the end it is what a response to a post is what impresses (or not me) most. This works both ways. If I am in the Medical Sciences Forum for instance and a responder hits the nail on the head and give additional info I was not aware of and doesn't have any info with their ID, that doesn't mean they are not A: extremely knowledgeable and not degreed, B: don't want to advertise their credentials. In the other scenario, I get a weak response, off the mark, or just plain wrong, and this time the person responding has a Phd in the subject. I suspect that person was A: not fully paying attention, B: not who he/she says he is, C: is lumped in my three strikes category, after three occurrences of the same kind of response, I simply pay little or no attention to their posts and moveon.org (pun intended) like I usually do.

I feel at least a little betrayed by the response, but, guess what, here comes the mentor's (MODS! penguwino credit given) to sweep up the mess. I for one feel this just made the mentor's job a little more difficult, if anything. Can you imagine if in fact that person in fact DOES have a Phd, and seeks solace on our boards and may have some kind of neurological or God forbid mental illness ? Then what ? The world is not simple black and white, and the combination's are probably even more complex than my little rant here.

I work with some very complex systems and never fail to shake my head that something not anticipated suddenly does not work the way it is supposed to simply because it is near IMPOSSIBLE (in time and/or effort) to test everything, every way possible. High Complexity pretty much guarantees nothing is perfect. Sadly we must live with the consequences.

There, rant done...

Rhody... o:) :devil:

I would like to remind everyone that entering information about your educational background is purely voluntary, and does nothing to enhance or diminish your contribution here. And needless to say, none of us here are capable of verifying the accuracy of those information.

Please also note that we also have another tier of recognition - Science Advisor and Homework Helper badges. These people are given such recognition not only for their participation, but also have shown consistently good and accurate responses to various topics, or to a particular topic. These are judged not based on stated educational background, but rather based on a history of responses given in this forum. In other words, they were judged based on what they do here. These folks were nominated by the Mentors and other Science Advisors, and based on the Mentors' recommendations, they are then awarded such honor. Over the years, I think we haven't made too many errors in such a selection.

Now this doesn't mean that those who do not have such medals shouldn't be listened to. It is just that it requires an established history of regular participation in this forum for us to have a 'track record' to judge on.

Zz.

Last edited:
All I know is this "degree-listing" thing makes me look ridiculous. Even if I go on and on, my sidebar is still longer than my post.

physics girl phd said:
All I know is this "degree-listing" thing makes me look ridiculous. Even if I go on and on, my sidebar is still longer than my post.

You should just say you have a BS and confuse people with your name.

I have a PhD. in Applied Sarcasm, thank you very much.

Just an observation, in the past few days since Greg made the change, I have noted people's profiles in their postings changing, some removing information, others, changing their qualifications. My point, and I may be wrong, please feel free to disagree, but I think Greg hit some kind of nerve when he did this. To those following this thread and if you have made changes, please feel free to vent or express your opinions.

Thanks...

Rhody... o:)

rhody said:
Just an observation, in the past few days since Greg made the change, I have noted people's profiles in their postings changing, some removing information, others, changing their qualifications. My point, and I may be wrong, please feel free to disagree, but I think Greg hit some kind of nerve when he did this. To those following this thread and if you have made changes, please feel free to vent or express your opinions.

Thanks...

I'm just afraid that posters will only believe people that have a PhD in the field. I'm studying for a PhD in math, but that doesn't mean you should just believe whatever I say. It's the quality of the posts that matters, not the degree itself.

Posting degrees is a great tool for measuring how advanced a question asker is. But it shouldn't be used as a tool for measuring the quality of the answer. And that's what I'm afraid of.

rhody said:

Thanks...

I would say I'm thinking of cutting it all out. It's all factual, but just too much unless you click on a personal profile to check up. Like others, I prefer to think my answers have some quality in there...

As an aside, I actually have one less degree than my sister (who completed an MD/PhD) and would have tied IF I had completed a (to me, unnecessary) "mathematical methods" course in my physics PhD program (recommended for students if they wanted to "delay" and "prep-up" for Jackson E&M)... to get an MS in physics too.

Pengwuino said:
You should just say you have a BS and confuse people with your name.

I thought that was what the "girl" part was about. Joking to some extent.
But at my "middle age" I think I'd hardly call myself a girl anymore. Maybe at 29 when I joined, ok. At present age, hmm...

I've polled about changing the username, but people tend to dislike changes (in avatar or username). I'd probably leave my avatar the same for continuity...

jhae2.718 said:
I have a PhD. in Applied Sarcasm, thank you very much.

Fabulous. Do you and Jimmy S share an alma mater?

physics girl phd said:

If could get my wife to register (she wants nothing to do with my mistress, Physics Forums), she could list four degrees in three disciplines.

I felt the text in the sidebar became too long and attracted too much attention, so I shortened the text and I'm considering to remove it all together.

What is the purpose of adding an education/degree to a posted profile?

Adding an education/degree to a posted profile allows individuals to showcase their academic achievements and qualifications to potential employers or connections on professional networking platforms.

How do I add my education/degree to my posted profile?

The process of adding education/degree to a posted profile may vary depending on the platform. Generally, there is an "Edit Profile" or "Edit Education" button on the profile page where you can input your educational information. Make sure to include the name of the institution, degree earned, major/field of study, and any relevant honors or awards.

Do I need to include all of my education/degrees on my posted profile?

It is not necessary to include all of your education/degrees on your posted profile. However, it is recommended to include the most recent and relevant education/degree to your current career or field of interest.

Can I add multiple education/degrees to my posted profile?

Yes, most platforms allow individuals to add multiple education/degrees to their posted profile. This can be beneficial for those who have earned multiple degrees or have pursued education in different fields.

Is it necessary to include proof or verification of my education/degree on my posted profile?

It is not required to provide proof or verification of your education/degree on your posted profile. However, some platforms may have a verification process to ensure the accuracy of the information provided. It is always recommended to be truthful and accurate when adding education/degree to your posted profile.