Proving the Only Solution to p is 3: A Simple Mathematical Proof

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation delves into the topic of solving equations of the form n^2=qp+k, where n, q, and p are integers and k is a natural number. The conversation highlights the importance of necessary conditions for a solution to exist, and mentions the use of quadratic residues and legendre symbols. It also notes that this type of equation is related to number fields and requires advanced knowledge in mathematics to fully understand.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i made a question by myself here it goes:
proove that the only solution to p is 3:
n^2-1=p where n is a natural number and p is a prime number.

now I am not sure about my proof so don't kill me (-:

from what we are given n^2-1 is a prime number which is (n-1)(n+1)
we all know that a prime number can only be divided by itself and by one therefore we can put it into options either n-1=1 and n+1=n^2-1 or n-1=n^2-1 and n+1=1
from the solutions of this equations we find the answers to n are:
2,-1,2,0,1,0 respectively.
now the only number which suits the equality is 2 and therefore p is 3.

what do you think? easy question?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can save time since the factorization (n+1)(n-1)=p implies

one of n-1 or n+1 must be 1, the only anwer then being n-1=1, n=2, p=3.This is a very common style of problem, often stated along the lines of, find all integers, n, where n^2 = 7P+9, say, where p is prime

then (n-3)(n+3) = 7p... can you solve this one?

(n-3)(n+3)=7p
n-3=7 => n=10 p=13 (a prime)
n+3=p
n-3=p
n+3=7 => n=4 p=1 (not a prime)

i see now the general form of equation:
n^2=qp+k n,k-natural number
q,p- primes

am i right? (btw this form of equation gives me somekind of dejavue like i saw at somewhere before).

You also need to consider

n-3 =1, n+3 = 7p

and finally
n-3=7p, n+3=1

This method only works when k is a square number, so that you can form the difference of two squares on the left.

so change my general equation into:
n^2=qp+k^2 the same notation as first.

now it raises the question how do you solve n^2=qp+k? i assume there isn't only one way.

There may or may not be solutions. There is a lot of high powered number theory involved in these minds of things. For a long time people kept coming up with proofs of Fermat's Last Theorem becuase they didnt' understand equations like this.

Here are somethings we could do.

Notice that n^2 =k mod(pq) so, for existence, it is necessary that k is a quadratic residue mod pq. Using legendre symbols one can come up with various necessary conditions on the p and q and k for there to be a solution.

Suppose q and k are given, eg find all integers n and primes p with

n^2= 7p+3

That requires us to find an n with n^2 = 3 mod7

the residues mod 7 are 1,4, and 2, so there can be no solutions for any n, irrespective of the p.

I can't think of anyway that always sovles this type of equation, and to be honest I can't think of getting sufficient conditions for a solution to exist either.

You might well need to learn more about number fields and such

1. What is the significance of proving the only solution to p is 3?

The significance of proving the only solution to p is 3 is that it provides a definitive answer to a mathematical problem. It proves that there is no other possible value for p that satisfies the given equation or problem, making the solution unique and irrefutable.

2. How does one go about proving the only solution to p is 3?

To prove that the only solution to p is 3, one must use logical and mathematical reasoning. This may involve using algebraic manipulations, substitution, and other techniques to show that any other value of p would result in an incorrect solution or an unsolvable equation.

3. Is it possible to prove the only solution to p is 3 for all equations or problems?

No, it is not always possible to prove that the only solution to p is 3 for all equations or problems. It depends on the specific equation or problem at hand and whether a unique solution can be found. In some cases, there may be multiple solutions or no solutions at all.

4. Can this proof be applied to other values besides 3?

Yes, this proof can be applied to other values besides 3. The key is to show that the given value is the only possible solution for the equation or problem in question. However, the specific techniques and methods used may vary depending on the value being proven.

5. Why is it important to prove the only solution to p is 3?

Proving the only solution to p is 3 is important because it provides a concrete and indisputable answer to a mathematical problem. It also allows for further exploration and understanding of the underlying principles and concepts behind the solution. Additionally, it can have practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.