Weird pattern in exponentiation

• Thread starter StatusX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary, the conversation discusses a pattern found when using the operations of addition, multiplication, and exponentiation on three numbers x, y, and z. The expressions are arranged in a natural way, with the first operation being carried out on the left, right, left, right, left, right sides of the parentheses, and the second operation being exponentiation. It is noted that the expressions have a largest identity expression and identical shapes, as well as a largest value for numbers greater than or equal to 1. The speaker questions whether this is a coincidence or if there is a deeper explanation for this pattern. They also mention that the arrangement may be considered arbitrary, but it is in increasing order of the "power" of the first operation
StatusX
Homework Helper
I was looking at the different ways the operations +, *, and exponentiation can work on three numbers x, y, and z. I found a weird pattern when the second operation performed is exponentiation. These are the expressions:

[tex] (x+y)^z \ x^{(y+z)} \ (x \cdot y)^z \ x^{(y \cdot z)} \ (x^y)^z \ x^{(y^z)} [/tex]

Notice how I arranged them in a natural way, where the first operation(inside the parantheses) is (+,+,*,*,^,^), and the second operation, exponentiation, is carried out on the (R,L,R,L,R,L) of the parantheses. Now look at the pattern:

[tex] (x+y)^z \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ x^{(y+z)} \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (x \cdot y)^z \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ x^{(y \cdot z)} \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (x^y)^z \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ x^{(y^z)} [/tex]

largest ...<- identical ->... | ...<- indentical ->... largest

written ... written ... | ... value ..... value
formula ... formula

I'm sorry if this doesn't format right, but I'll explain what it means. [tex] (x+y)^z[/tex] has the largest identity expression, in terms of the size of the written formula: the binomial theorem. [tex] x^{(y+z)}[/tex] and [tex] (x \cdot y)^z[/tex] are equal to [tex] x^y \cdot x^z [/tex] and [tex] x^z \cdot y^z [/tex] respectively, so the shape of their written formulas are identical. [tex] x^{(y \cdot z)} [/tex] is equal in value to [tex] (x^y)^z[/tex]. And finally, [tex] x^{(y^z)}[/tex] has the largest value, for x,y,z>>1.

This seems like a very bizarre link between the "man-made" (sort of) written formulas and the "completely natural" values of these expressions. Is there anything to this, or is it just a coincidence?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have no idea why you consider your arrangement to be "in a natural way". There would be absolutely no difference that I can see if you were to arrange them in any other way.

They are arranged regularly. You might argue if its natural or not, although I'm pretty sure they are in order of increasing value for x,y,z >>1, which seems pretty natural.

So does this need to be explained, or am I reading too much into it? I could see how you might argue the arrangement is arbitrary, but its at least in increasing order of the "power" of the first operation, ie., (+,+),(*,*),(^,^). Then the only choice I made that may seem arbitrary is which side the exponent should be on in the first of each pair, and I picked the right side. But like I said, I also think they are in order of value for numbers >>1 (maybe just >2?), but I'm not completely sure about that.

What is a weird pattern in exponentiation?

A weird pattern in exponentiation refers to a phenomenon where the result of repeatedly raising a number to higher powers follows a specific pattern that is not immediately obvious or intuitive.

What causes a weird pattern in exponentiation?

The existence of a weird pattern in exponentiation is caused by the unique properties of certain numbers, such as prime numbers, perfect squares, and other special numbers. These numbers have specific relationships with exponents that result in a predictable pattern.

How do you identify a weird pattern in exponentiation?

To identify a weird pattern in exponentiation, you need to perform repeated exponentiation on a number and observe the resulting sequence. If the sequence follows a distinct pattern, such as repeating digits or increasing/decreasing values, then it is considered a weird pattern.

What is the significance of finding a weird pattern in exponentiation?

Finding a weird pattern in exponentiation can have significant implications in mathematics and other fields. It can help in identifying special numbers, developing encryption algorithms, and solving complex equations, among other applications.

Can a weird pattern in exponentiation be predicted?

While some weird patterns in exponentiation are known and can be predicted, others are still being discovered. With the advancement of technology and mathematics, we may continue to uncover new and interesting patterns in exponentiation.