How Much SiCl4 Results from 2.8g of Silicon with 50% Yield?

• Thread starter a.a
  • Start date
In summary, percentage yield is a measure of the efficiency of a chemical reaction, calculated by dividing the actual yield by the theoretical yield and multiplying by 100. It is important because it allows scientists to evaluate the efficiency of a reaction and can be affected by factors such as reactant purity, temperature and pressure, and the presence of impurities or side reactions. To improve percentage yield, scientists can use high-quality reactants, optimize reaction conditions, and carefully control the reaction process.
a.a

Homework Statement

The direct reaction of silicon with Cl_2 the yield of SiCl4 is 50%. How many grams of SiCl4 are obtained in the reaction of 2.8 g of silicon with excess chlorine?

Homework Equations

Si= 28.0855g
SiCl4= 169.8963g
Si + 2Cl2 --> SiCl4

The Attempt at a Solution

2.8g Si = (84.94815 g SiCl4/28.0855 g Si)* 2.8g Si
= 8.468 g SiCl4
= 8.5 SiCl4

Could someone please let me know if I made any mistakes?

Physics news on Phys.org
a.a said:
2.8g Si = (84.94815 g SiCl4/28.0855 g Si)* 2.8g Si = 8.468 g SiCl4

This is obviously wrong - perhaps just what you wrote is wrong, as the final number looks OK. But for sure 2.8 g Si doesn't equal 8.468 g SiCl4.

However - where is the yield percentage used? Have you forgot?

sorri, the way i wrote is is wrong, i ment to say that 2.8 Si produces 8.468 g SiCl_4
i used the percentage yeild in that i said 84.94815 g SiCl4 rather than 169.8963g

Use precentage as the last step, after you calculate correct stoichiometric amount. Numbers look OK.

do we still arive at the same answer though?

Yes. That's why I wrote that numbers look OK.

1. What is percentage yield?

Percentage yield is a measure of the efficiency of a chemical reaction. It represents the percentage of the theoretical maximum amount of product that is actually obtained in a reaction.

2. How do you calculate percentage yield?

Percentage yield is calculated by taking the actual yield (the amount of product obtained in the reaction) and dividing it by the theoretical yield (the maximum amount of product that can be obtained). This number is then multiplied by 100 to get the percentage yield.

3. Why is percentage yield important?

Percentage yield is important because it allows scientists to evaluate the efficiency of a chemical reaction. A high percentage yield indicates that the reaction is proceeding in an optimal manner, while a low percentage yield may indicate inefficiencies or problems with the reaction.

4. What factors can affect percentage yield?

There are several factors that can affect percentage yield, including the purity of the reactants, the temperature and pressure of the reaction, and the presence of impurities or side reactions.

5. How can percentage yield be improved?

To improve percentage yield, scientists can use high-quality, pure reactants, optimize reaction conditions such as temperature and pressure, and carefully control the reaction process to minimize the formation of impurities or side reactions. Additionally, using catalysts or adjusting the stoichiometry of the reactants can also improve percentage yield.

Back